Taiwan will promote more robust trade relations with the EU, but so far bilateral discussions on signing a Trade Enhancement Measure (TEM) have not be launched, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said yesterday.
It did not provide any explanation as to why the trade pact the European Chamber of Commerce in Taipei (ECCT) has called for since August had not materialized.
The Korea Times on Monday reported that South Korea and the 27-nation bloc concluded their talks on a free trade agreement (FTA) and that their pact could enter into force as early as the beginning of next year.
Both sides have held intense negotiations since 2007 on an accord to slash tariffs and other trade barriers. The EU is South Korea’s second-largest trade partner after China, with bilateral trade totaling US$98.4 billion last year.
South Korean officials said that the deal would create 600,000 jobs in South Korea and raise its GDP by US$18 billion in the long term, the Korea Times reported.
Two months ago, during a European Day luncheon in Taipei, ECCT chairman Philippe Pellegrin urged President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九), who attended the function, to accelerate the pace of dialogue with the EU on a TEM, which he said had much support from Taiwanese businesspeople.
Pellegrin said the imminent FTA between South Korea and the EU could have a negative impact on Taiwan’s competitiveness in key industrial sectors such as machinery and flat-screen manufacturing.
In his address, Ma said that “Taiwan also agrees with the ECCT’s suggestion of exploring TEM with the EU,” adding that Taiwan wished to start consultations on a TEM soon.
So far, the European Economic and Trade Office has not made any public statement regarding the proposal and the office said it could not comment on the matter because office head Guy Ledoux is out of the country.
Despite numerous questions on the subject at a press conference yesterday, MOFA spokesman Henry Chen (陳銘政) did not elaborate on the TEM.
“It is MOFA’s goal to fortify trade relations with any region or individual country,” he said. “We are working on it, but there are some problems.”
Chen declined to elaborate on the “problems.”
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as