After eight months of research, Taiwanese raptor experts recently completed tracing the migration pattern of the endangered gray-faced buzzard, an Asian bird of prey, the Forestry Bureau said on Thursday.
A research study sponsored by the bureau shows that gray-faced buzzards, or Butastur indicus, stop over in Taiwan every October on their way south to winter in southern areas of the Philippines.
The raptors then fly north in the spring, making another stop in Taiwan before continuing their migration to the China-Russia border near China's Heilongjiang Province or North Korea to breed, the findings show.
PHOTO: CNA
Between 15,000 and 35,000 gray-faced buzzards visit Taiwan during these spectacular migrations, but prior to the latest study, knowledge of where the birds came from and where they went was scant.
Keen to find out more about the birds' migration patterns, the research team, including researchers from Academia Sinica and the non-profit Raptor Research Group of Taiwan, fitted satellite trackers on several adult buzzards to find out more about their habits.
The findings solved part of an old puzzle surrounding the birds, said Lin Wen-hung (林文宏), the secretary-general of the Raptor Research Group of Taiwan.
“The migration pattern that we have discovered, however, does not mean that all gray-faced buzzards use the same route for their annual migrations,” Lin said.
The gray-faced buzzard is listed in Appendix II of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Flora and Fauna (CITES) and is also protected by inclusion as a Rare and Valuable Species under Taiwan's Wildlife Conservation Act, the Forestry Bureau said.
Generally, the southern migration areas of gray-faced buzzards are limited to Southeast Asia. In summer, they breed in eastern areas of Asia, including northern China, the Korean peninsula, an area southeast of the River Ussuri in Russia and Japan. When autumn comes, they migrate south to southeastern China, Indochina, the Philippines, Borneo, the Celebes and New Guinea, although the migration routes are still not clear.
Japanese researchers were the first to carry out a satellite positioning plan for tracing the buzzards. They marked and released several of the raptors from the Japanese island of Ishigaki, hoping that they would fly south — the birds headed north instead.
Last October, the Taiwanese team fitted satellite trackers to five adult gray-faced buzzards caught in Kenting National Park and the Mt Bagua National Scenic Area in Changhua County.
The five birds were dubbed Cape Nos. 1 to 5 and then released. The researchers lost contact with Cape No. 3 and No. 4 somewhere over the ocean as the birds were flying north and their transmitters remained silent, the bureau said.
The other three — Cape No. 1, No. 2 and No. 5 — continued transmitting signals, showing the precise locations of their travel routes and unveiling their hitherto mysterious migration routes.
Cape No. 1 was found to have traveled more than 9,000km in a broad circle covering the southern Philippines at the southernmost location and Heilongjiang Province at the northernmost tip, with Taiwan as a midway stop and a mountainous area in China's northeastern Jilin Province as its breeding ground early last month, bureau officials said.
The bird took refuge on a tiny island off China's Guangdong Province in March under the strong northeast monsoon, where it recovered its strength before heading further north around the end of May.
Cape No. 2 and No. 5 also flew more than 9,000km in a migration circle, breeding in a rural area of North Korea.
The recent finding — the first migration data on gray-faced buzzards — has set up a good scientific foundation for further migration research, the officials said.
“Further and more detailed research will help us find out more about the birds,” Lin said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as