Premier Liu Chao-shiuan (劉兆玄) said yesterday the government was considering allowing Chinese visitors to travel without a tour or other group in Penghu, Kinmen and Matsu on a trial basis.
If the pilot trial is successful, the plan would be applied to Taiwan proper, he said.
Current cross-strait agreements require that Chinese tourists travel in a group of at least five for their entire trip.
There have been calls for the government to relax regulations on Chinese tourists as the number of arrivals has dropped to less than 1,000 people per day from a peak of more than 3,000 per day a few months ago.
“We did notice the phenomenon [falling arrivals] and we do have some ideas [on how to increase numbers], but we still need to negotiate [with the Chinese],” Liu told reporters who asked him about the issue during a tour of Matsu.
TALKS NEEDED
Tourism Bureau Director-General Janice Lai (賴瑟珍) said her office will discuss the issue with China through the Taiwan Strait Tourism Association, a private group representing the tourism industry, and its Chinese counterpart.
“To relax the regulations might involve revisions of cross-strait deals [that opened Taiwan to Chinese tourists],” Lai said.
The government was also considering loosening some conditions on landing visas granted to Chinese tourists.
Starting on Sept. 30 last year, the government has issued landing visas to Chinese tourists visiting Kinmen and Matsu who do not hold positions in the People’s Liberation Army, the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) or the Chinese government.
The Executive Yuan announced last month that the landing visa service would soon be extended to Penghu, but the proposal had not been approved.
Local politicians in Matsu suggested the government loosen restrictions.
“I hope people from the [CCP], the Chinese government and its army can receive landing visas as it usually takes two weeks for them to obtain approval from the National Immigration Agency to visit Matsu,” Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Tsao Erh-chang (曹爾忠) said.
Lienchiang County Commissioner Chen Hsueh-sheng (陳雪生) called on Liu to allow a limited number of Chinese to travel visa-free to Matsu for a maximum of three days.
NO VISA-FREE
Liu said that Tsao’s suggestion was “worthy of discussion” and was under deliberation by the government, but he rejected the visa-free idea.
“We have never considered allowing Chinese tourists visa-free access,” Liu said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated