Former president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) will not plead guilty to the charges against him despite his family members being prosecuted, Chen’s former lawyer Cheng Wen-lung (鄭文龍) said yesterday.
Cheng visited Chen yesterday at the Taipei Detention Center, where Chen has been held on corruption charges since Dec. 30 last year.
“[Chen] thinks he has not done anything illegal, so why should he plead guilty?” the lawyer said, referring to a letter former first lady Wu Shu-jen (吳淑珍) wrote to her husband reportedly reprimanding him for insisting on being a martyr even though it would ruin their daughter Chen Hsing-yu’s (陳幸妤) plans to live and study in the US this fall.
PHOTO: CNA
Chen Hsing-yu was barred from leaving the country last Tuesday, after she, her husband, Chao Chien-ming (趙建銘), and her brother, Chen Chih-chung (陳致中), admitted to giving false testimony during investigations into the former first family’s alleged corruption and money laundering.
Chen Shui-bian has been distressed since learning that prosecutors rejected his daughter’s request to be allowed to travel so she could register for studies in the US.
“[He] hopes his children would not be involved in the political fighting among adults. He hopes his children would not be hassled,” Cheng said, adding that his former client told him that “adults should resolve their political issues among themselves.”
Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Taipei City councilors yesterday urged the media not to bother Chen Shui-bian’s grandson Chao Yi-an (趙翊安), and demanded Taipei City’s Education Department protect the boy’s rights to study in a municipal school.
Chao Yi-an’s enrollment in the Bo Ai Elementary School became the center of attention after several users of the school’s online message board, who identified themselves as teachers and parents, voiced objections to the possibility of his entering the school.
The six-year-old is the eldest son of Chen Hsing-yu. He has reached the minimum school age, according to the National Education Act (國民教育法), and is legally entitled to enroll in the school.
DPP Taipei City Councilor Chien Yu-yen (簡余晏) said the National Communications Commission should stop media outlets from following the boy or interviewing students or teachers at the school about the issue.
“We urge the media to exercise self-restraint and not to follow Chao Yi-an around, so that he can go to school happily,” she told a press conference at the Taipei City Council.
Independent Taipei City Councilor Chen Chien-ming (陳建銘) demanded the department and the school protect the boy’s right to study in Taipei.
“It would be shameful for the education field in Taipei if Chao was forced to attend school in Kaohsiung instead because of political factors,” he said.
Lin Hsin-yao (林信耀), chief secretary of the department, said the school would “definitely welcome Chao to enroll.”
Wang Jen-yu (王壬佑), director-general of the school’s academic affairs department, said that any child whose household record is registered within the school’s district was welcome to attend.
Meanwhile, swamped by reporters on her way to work yesterday, Chen Hsing-yu lost her temper when asked to comment on efforts to study in the US.
“Don’t push me!” “All of you will be punished!” she said as she was escorted by supporters into the dental clinic where she works.
Her brother said later yesterday that the whole family hoped that Chen Hsing-yu would move her family to Kaohsiung City, where her son could attend a local school.
Chen Chih-chung and his wife moved to Kaohsiung in February, while his mother moved there in May.
In related news, prosecutors announced yesterday they will call Wu for questioning on Tuesday on whether she solicited her children to commit perjury.
Wu’s lawyer Lin Chih-chung (林志忠) said yesterday that Wu had said she would cooperate with prosecutors to protect her children.
“[Wu] said she will do whatever prosecutors ask of her, as long as prosecutors do not involve her children in the case,” Lin said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and