Former president Chen Shui-bian’s (陳水扁) court-appointed attorney yesterday said the former president was hoping for a speedy response from the Council of Grand Justices to a request for a constitutional interpretation on the transfer of his case to Presiding Judge Tsai Shou-hsun (蔡守訓).
Speaking to reporters during a recess in the former president’s trial, Tseng Te-rong (曾德榮) said Chen had expressed concern about when the Council of Grand Justices would hand down its decision on whether switching judges in his case was constitutional.
Tseng said Chen told him he hoped the interpretation would be announced before the district court delivered its verdict, as any decision after that would be too late to have a significant effect, adding that “prompt justice is the only form of justice.”
In January, Chen’s office asked the council to rule on the legitimacy of his pre-trial detention and the switching of judges from Chou Chan-chun (周占春) to Tsai Shou-hsun (蔡守訓), who now presides over Chen’s embezzlement and corruption trials.
When Chou was presiding over Chen’s case last year, he twice ruled against detaining Chen, saying that Chen had no way to flee because as a former president he was constantly under the protection of special agents.
However, when the case was handed over to Tsai, he repeatedly ruled to keep the former president behind bars, arguing that Chen might collude with witnesses or try to abscond.
In December, a panel of judges ordered that Chou be replaced by Tsai, who would also preside over four additional cases filed against the former president. The switch was controversial, causing skeptics to question whether the decision to merge the trials was procedurally flawed and politically motivated.
The former president and his attorneys appeared in court yesterday as former Presidential Office secretary Chen Hsin-yi (陳心怡) and former Presidential Office director Lin Teh-hsun (林德訓) were questioned about the former president’s use of the presidential “state affairs fund.”
Chen Hsin-yi testified that the former president’s bookkeeper, Chen Chen-hui (陳鎮慧), had instructed her to put cash in the former first family’s safe, in amounts of between NT$5 million (US$150,000) and NT$10 million at different times. Chen Hsin-yi said she was told the money was “for the president’s use.”
She also said that in July the former president asked her to file an application for a passport for him “most urgently.” She said the reason was because the former president had been invited to visit overseas.
Also yesterday, former first lady Wu Shu-jen (吳淑珍) was questioned yesterday by the Supreme Prosecutors Office’s Special Investigation Panel (SIP) as a defendant for the first time.
The purpose of the session was to determine the value of the former first lady’s jewelry, as well as the flow of money in the former first family’s overseas accounts, local media reported.
Her lawyer Chen Kuo-hua (陳國華) accompanied her during questioning, but declined to comment on the case, saying only that the former first lady’s physical condition was fine.
Meanwhile, pro-independence groups yesterday said they would hold a rally on July 25 in support of the former president.
The groups said the purpose of the rally was to ask the Taipei District Court to release Chen Shui-bian and respect his rights.
The district court is scheduled to decide whether to keep Chen Shui-bian in detention on July 14, the groups said in a statement. They called on the public to support the former president outside the court that day and welcome him if he were released.
If the court decided to continue to detain him, they would hold a sit-in in front of the Presidential Office, the groups said. The July 25 rally would go ahead if Chen’s detention was extended, it said.
The Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) has proposed a signature drive to support Chen Shui-bian and has asked the court that he be released immediately.
DPP Chairperson Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said yesterday the party was in contact with prominent individuals to sign the petition.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY RICH CHANG
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as