A Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Taipei City councilor yesterday slammed the Taipei City Government for offering an “embarrassing” travel package to Japanese tourists that includes stops at the Taipei Martyrs Shrine and the suspended Maokong Gondola.
The “Good Fortune” travel package designed by the city’s Department of Information and Tourism and EVA Airways offers a free tour guide and prizes to Japanese tourists visiting Taipei between June 15 and September.
The guide suggests six routes, which include stops at Taipei Confucius Temple, Xingtian Temple, Shilin Night Market, Taipei 101, the Martyrs Shrine, Maokong Gondola and Beitou Park.
PHOTO: CHANG CHIA-MING, TAIPEI TIMES
“Isn’t it ridiculous to take Japanese to Martyrs Shrine to pay their respects to heroes who sacrificed themselves against the Japanese?” DPP Taipei City Councilor Chuang Ruei-hsiung (莊瑞雄) said.
The Maokong Gondola has been suspended for several months, while Beitou Park has been under construction for three years, Chuang said, condemning the city officials for negligence.
“The travel package planners were obviously planning the routes in their heads. They don’t know the Maokong Gondola is suspended and they don’t know the situation at Beitou Park,” Chuang said.
The promotional package cost the city government NT$10 million (US$300,000), Chuang said.
However, Huang Ru-miao (黃如妙), a division chief at the department, said the department had sent the package to Japanese travel agencies for review and they had agreed to the routes. Many Japanese want to visit Martyrs Shrine to “reflect upon part of Japanese history,” she said.
The department included the cable car in the routes because of the scenery and tea culture in the Maokong area, she said.
Meanwhile, the spread of the swine flu in Japan is taking its toll on Taiwan’s travel industry.
EVA Air president Jeng Kuang-yeun (鄭光遠) said yesterday the airline would suspend its regular flights from Taipei to Los Angeles via Osaka, starting Tuesday.
“Our flights to Japan suffered a great deal because of the swine flu,” Jeng said. “Now that the spread of the flu appears to have slowed down, we hope the situation would encourage people to start traveling again and that passengers will gradually return over the summer.”
Tourism Bureau statistics show that approximately 79,000 Japanese visited Taiwan in April, down 3 percent from April last year.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY SHELLEY SHAN
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Taiwan People’s Party (TPP) Chairman Huang Kuo-chang (黃國昌) yesterday appealed to the authorities to release former Taipei mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) from pretrial detention amid conflicting reports about his health. The TPP at a news conference on Thursday said that Ko should be released to a hospital for treatment, adding that he has blood in his urine and had spells of pain and nausea followed by vomiting over the past three months. Hsieh Yen-yau (謝炎堯), a retired professor of internal medicine and Ko’s former teacher, said that Ko’s symptoms aligned with gallstones, kidney inflammation and potentially dangerous heart conditions. Ko, charged with