Graduating student Shen Chien-yi (沈健一), 84, was honored in a special way at the commencement ceremony of Chang Jung Christian University in Tainan County yesterday.
Shen had his feet washed by school president Chen Chin-seng (陳錦生), while 23 other fellow students — six decades younger than Shen — had their feet washed by other faculty members. Having school faculty wash the feet of selected students is a traditional ritual at the school to underscore the value of service with a humble spirit.
The 24 students were selected because of their special characteristics, such as excellent performance or enthusiasm in serving others.
Shen was chosen because he has shown a passion for learning and has not missed a class during his four years of college, making him a shining example of “life-long learning,” the school said.
Shen held a personal exhibition earlier this week to mark his commencement, featuring more than 100 works of art that included oil paintings, watercolors, stereography and Chinese brush calligraphy.
“Now my dreams have come true,” Shen said at the opening of his exhibition.
Shen yesterday donated a check for NT$100,000 to the school to be used to fund scholarships and urged his classmates to “seize their prime days of a lifetime and learn with zest every day.”
Shen was born in a tumultuous era in China and was not able to receive a formal fine arts education. He fought in World War II as a career military officer and came to Taiwan from China more than five decades ago to work as a public functionary.
Shen applied to study at China Academy of Art in Hangzhou at the age of 73, years after his retirement. He began his program at the academy but was forced to return to Taiwan less than two years later when his health began to decline because of his age and fatigue from the frequent trips to China for class.
Determined not to give up his dream, Shen in 2005 took the university’s Department of Visual Art’s entrance exams and began full-time studies there.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as