The Cabinet recently dropped a proposal to allow individuals to deduct up to NT$12,000 (US$368) spent on cultural expenditures from their income taxes, but approved a proposal that would allow businesses to write off money spend buying tickets to cultural events for students as an operating loss or operating expense.
Under the proposal, there would be no limit to the amount a company could spend on tickets for elementary and junior high school students, which would help reduce its business income tax.
The Cabinet move drew mix reactions and prompted debates on whether it would help boost the cultural sector.
Premier Liu Chao-shiuan (劉兆玄) said earlier the tax incentive proposal was meant to encourage an interest in the arts in young people.
“I was very much impressed during a visit to an European friend who spends most of his income on cultural activities and eats simple meals based on bread and milk. To cultivate a devotion to arts should start in childhood,” Liu said.
Council for Council Affairs (CCA) official Fang Jy-shiuh (方芷絮) said on average, individuals spend 13 percent of their annual expenditures on arts and cultural activities. The government would like to see that raised in four years to 15 percent and has planned a series of programs aimed at doubling the output value of cultural and creative industry from NT$580 billion last year to NT$1 trillion a year, she said.
The government’s decision to drop the individual tax deduction in favor of businesses was criticized by Hsu Po-yun (??, founder of the New Aspect Cultural and Education Foundation and an adviser to President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九).
Hsu said Liu had “made the wrong decision” and the move illustrated a lack of cultural education among policymakers
It was inappropriate to make a comparison between tax incentives for businesses with tax deductions for individuals because they served different functions.
Council for Cultural Affairs Minister Huang Pi-twin (黃碧端) previously said the main opposition to the individual tax deduction came from the Ministry of Finance, which estimated such a deduction would cost the treasury NT$6.5 billion a year and feared it might have a domino effect on other sectors.
Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Wong Chin-chu (翁金珠), who proposed a bill to offer the credit to taxpayers, said it was shortsighted of the government to focus on possible lost revenues.
It didn’t make sense for the government to say that offering tax credits for cultural expenses would lead to tax losses when the government often granted tax credits to businesses to encourage new investments on the basis such incentives would eventually bring in more revenue.
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Kuo Su-chun (郭素春) disagreed.
A tax credit for taxpayers would only benefit people with medium and high incomes because low-income households prefer to take the standard deductions instead of itemizing deductions on their tax returns.
There could also be insurmountable technical difficulties in implementing an individual tax credit, Kuo said.
“For example, it would be a laborious task for tax officials to verify each and every receipt submitted by taxpayers to claim for the [cultural] tax deduction,” she said. “Some people might also use other people’s receipts to claim the deduction.”
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as