Taiwanese doctor Wang Wen-chi (王文其), 92, a survivor of the 1945 Nagasaki atomic bomb blast, finally received compensation from the Japanese government on Wednesday after more than a decade of trying.
Wang became the first and only Taiwanese to receive a “health handbook” issued to survivors of the atomic bomb attacks on Japan during World War II. He is now entitled to free medical treatment in Japan and monthly subsidies of NT$9,000.
“I hope that there will be no more war in the world,” Wang said as he received his health handbook.
PHOTO: YU HSUEH-LAN, TAIPEI TIMES
Japan’s Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare amended the Atomic Bomb Survivors Relief Law in 2003 to allow atomic bomb victims living abroad to apply for health benefits. However, the victims were still required to undergo a medical check in Japan for confirmation.
Wang applied for survivor benefits four years ago but refused to go to Japan for medical checks, accusing the Japanese government of being insincere. He was finally able to confirm his status through medical checks in Taiwan after Japan amended the law again last year. The Japanese government granted him a survivor health handbook last month.
Wang said he was a 27-year-old student at Nagasaki Medical College in 1945. While he was engaged in practical training at the school’s hospital on the morning of Aug. 9, he saw a flash of harsh red light.
He lost consciousness and was rushed to a nearby clinic operated by a Taiwanese alumnus. Despite receiving medical treatment, Wang remained paralyzed for six months. He and his family then decided to move back to his hometown of Chiayi City.
Wang said the hypocenter of the Nagasaki atomic bomb blast was right behind the hospital he had been working at, and that there were no other Taiwanese survivors at the hospital.
Even some of his fellow students who had been 15km away from the university died of radiation contamination within a few weeks, he said.
Wang remains healthy, even at his advanced age. He joked that perhaps the radiation was protecting him from other diseases.
However, Wang added, he still sets off airport metal detectors as a result of the dose of radiation he had received.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as