Controversy sparked by Hong Kong action star Jackie Chan’s (成龍) remarks last month have cast a shadow over what is scheduled to be the biggest sporting event ever hosted by Taipei City — the Summer Deaflympics, scheduled to run from Sept. 5 to Sept. 15.
Speaking at a panel discussion during the annual Boao Forum in China, Chan, who formerly served as an ambassador for the event, said Taiwan’s freedom made it “chaotic.”
Taipei city councilors from across party lines criticized the city government’s reliance on celebrities to generate publicity for the event, saying the government had failed to spend its budget wisely.
The budget plan approved by the Taipei City Council allocated around NT$7 billion (US$210 million) for the event, with more than NT$1.1 billion set aside for advertising and marketing.
The city invited more than 10 celebrities, including Chan, singer A-Mei (張惠妹), actress Brigitte Lin (林青霞) and former NBA star Scottie Pippen to promote the Deaflympics as spokespeople, paying more than NT$80 million for their endorsements.
Chan came to Taiwan last September for the Deaflympics countdown ceremony and to shoot a TV ad for the event. He did not charge an endorsement fee, but the city government spent more than NT$100,000 for transportation and hotel fees.
“We had voiced concerns about inviting Chinese stars like Jackie Chan to serve as spokespeople, but the city government ignored our warning. What he brings to the event is nothing but negative publicity,” Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Taipei City Councilor Hsu Chia-ching (徐佳青) said.
Taipei City Councilor Chien Yu-yen (簡余晏), also of the DPP, joined Hsu in challenging the city government’s choice of a Chinese star, urging it to return the money it spent on Chan.
Emile Sheng (盛治仁), chairman of the Taipei Deaflympics Organizing Committee said the committee had invited Chan because he had suffered hearing damage from an accident when shooting a film and therefore might understand the feelings of the hearing impaired, Sheng said.
Sheng dismissed the councilors?criticism about the big budget, and said the budget for the committee was only about NT$1.1 billion, with about 10% allocated to advertising and marketing. So far the city government paid less than NT$5 million for event ambassadors and
spokespeople.
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Taipei City Councilor Chen Yu-mei (陳玉梅) said inviting celebrities to promote the event via commercials or promotional activities was not enough. She urged the city government to learn from the Kaohsiung City Government and not limit its marketing efforts to domestic promotional events and ads.
“The Kaohsiung City Government visited China, Hong Kong and Japan to promote the World Games. The Taipei City Government is treating the Deaflympics like a domestic event. I’m worried about the city government’s ability to host international sporting events,” she said.
To promote the World Games, which will be held in Kaohsiung City in July, the Kaohsiung City Government invited Yankee pitcher Wang Chien-ming (王建民) to endorse the event. It also held promotional activities in China, Singapore, South Korea, Japan and Hong Kong to introduce the Games to the international community, Chen said.
Noting that the Deaflympics was part of the Olympic Games family along with the Paralympic Games and Special Olympics, Chen said the Taipei City Government should expand its vision and put greater effort into increasing the international visibility of the event.
Chen and Chien also shared concerns about facilities for the event. Most of the competitions will be held in Taipei City, but some will be held at venues in Taipei, Taoyuan and Hsinchu counties.
“The city government spent several billion NT dollars on the facilities, but we cannot find a swimming pool that fits international criteria in the city and have to go all the way to Hsinchu County to hold the swimming contest there,” Chien said.
Sheng defended the city government? efforts to utilize venues for the events, and said National Taiwan University Stadium and the Taipei Arena are both qualified to host volleyball competition.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as