The long-stalled initiative to enact legislation promoting renewable energy is just one of the many problems standing in the way of turning Taiwan into a low-carbon country where the economy and the environment interact harmoniously, analysts said.
Following a threat earlier this month by German wind-power firm InfraVest GmbH — the only private producer of wind energy in Taiwan — to quit the country, debate surrounding a bill to develop alternative energy from renewable resources, blocked in the legislature for more than six years, was brought back into focus.
Recently, President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) and Premier Liu Chao-shiuan (劉兆玄) have restated the government’s position that the bill must clear the legislative floor before the end of this legislative session on May 31.
At present, eight versions of the bill have been initiated by the Executive Yuan, Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) lawmakers and the Democratic Progressive Party are awaiting second or third readings.
New Energy Association of Taiwan secretary-general Rosa Tsou (鄒智純) said she doubted the government was resolute enough to push the bill through, as it “involves complicated business interests involving different parties.”
The most contentious parts of the bill address the types of raw material that should be defined as renewable resources and how state-owned Taiwan Power Co (Taipower, 台電), the country’s monopoly grid operator, should set the price of different forms of renewable energy, she said.
Tsou said there were slight differences in the versions of the bill.
“Each time the bill gets waylaid it is because of lawmakers who represent interest groups that are not satisfied with the definition of renewable energy or with the price of electricity from a specific renewable source,” Tsou said.
A senior legislative assistant who wished to remain anonymous said that had it not been for some lawmakers who were pressured by operators of incinerators, the bill would likely have cleared the legislature at the end of 2005.
The incinerator operators worried that the development of renewable energy would have a negative impact on the price of electricity generated at incineration cogeneration plants, he said.
When the bill was placed on the agenda for a second and third reading in the following session, he said, it was again delayed after a lawmaker sought to make a last-minute change to include electricity generated from rice husks.
Another lawmaker at that time had tried to add “run-of-river water plants,” which require that a dam cover the full width of a river and utilize all the water in the river — a practice that can damage the environment — to the bill, he said.
“When a compromise was finally made that small water plants, without a dam, could be regarded as sources of renewable energy, efforts to break the deadlock over how much Taipower should pay for the energy were in vain,” he said.
Reviewing the eight versions, Green Consumers’ Foundation chairman Jay Fang (方儉) said he doubted the bills would increase renewable energy use.
“The bills focus mainly on establishing a subsidy system to help renewable energy projects, while the objective should be to create an environment in which renewable energy operators would find it profitable to invest,” Fang said.
Fang said Taipower and the Ministry of Economic Affairs were the main obstacles to the development of renewable energy, saying that “the price-setting mechanism would not be fair if Taipower continued to conceal its cost structure.”
“Before InfraVest GmbH invested in the country, Taipower told the ministry that the cost of producing one unit of electricity from wind was between NT$7 and NT$8. Why, then, did Taipower offer InfraVest only NT$2 per unit?” he asked.
He said a mechanism should be created that would give households and companies a choice between using traditional and renewable sources of energy and allowing the electricity generated by renewable sources to be used locally rather than via the national grid.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as