Legislators on the Transportation Committee yesterday criticized the Ministry of Transportation and Communications’ (MOTC) plan to spend approximately NT$180 million (US$5.3 million) on an “intelligent transportation system” (ITS), with several calling the project a waste of money.
The MOTC’s briefing said that about NT$145 million from the budget would be allocated to installing the signals needed for the ITS, whereas the rest of the budget would be used to build the “Smart Bus” System (聰明公車), which informs bus passengers of the arrival time for buses.
Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Yeh Yi-ching (葉宜津) said yesterday that people living in rural areas sometimes have to wait an hour or two for a bus and that they would not benefit from such a system.
“What they really want is for the bus to arrive on time,” she said. “If the bus system cannot guarantee punctuality, then it’s useless for the government to spend huge sums of money building these electronic billboards.”
DPP Legislator Kuo Wen-chen (郭玟成) said that passengers living in rural areas generally asked family members to pick them up at train stations. Nobody would want to sit and wait for “smart buses,” he said.
“A lot of bus companies are about to go out of business because of the high-speed rail,” Kuo said. “The government should help tour bus operators branch out into shuttle bus operations.”
MOTC Vice Minister Oliver Yu (游芳來) said the smart bus and its systems were created to inform passengers about the arrival and departure time of buses so they would not have wait around at bus stops.
Meanwhile, lawmakers asked Yu to clarify MOTC Minister Mao Chi-kuo’s (毛治國) statement about the construction of mass rapid transit (MRT) systems on Wednesday.
Mao said an MRT system would be disastrous if it did not have enough users.
Yu said the minister was referring to the direction of the MOTC’s policy. He also said that the Taichung MRT system had been approved and would be built, but that the Taichung City Government would be responsible for operations.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and