If a small of group of people could force the former dictatorial regime to dissolve the Taiwan Garrison Command and lift martial law, the 23 million people now living in Taiwan should be able to stop President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) from selling out Taiwan, independence supporters said yesterday at a forum in Taipei.
Speaking at the forum, which looked at the effects of the Treaty of Shimonoseki, former Examination Yuan president Yao Wen-chia (姚嘉文) urged Taiwanese to stand united to prevent the Ma administration from handing over Taiwan’s sovereignty to Beijing.
“We must be confident that we can stop Ma from turning Taiwan over to Communist China. Back then, there were only a few of us, but we still managed to force the government to dissolve the Taiwan Garrison Command and lift martial law,” he said.
Yao, also a student of Taiwanese history, said the treaty, in which China ceded control of Taiwan to Japan in April 1895, officially marked the beginning of Taiwan’s complete and perpetual severance from China.
Although Japan gave up its jurisdiction over Taiwan in the San Francisco Peace Treaty in 1952, Tokyo has never recognized Taiwan as part of China, so Taiwan is clearly not a Chinese province, he said.
Former vice-president Annette Lu (呂秀蓮), publisher of the new pro-independence newspaper Formosa Post, said history has shown that Taiwan goes through a major transformation every 30 years and urged all Taiwanese to take the country’s fate in their own hands.
“Throughout history, the Taiwanese people have never been an active participant in their own destiny. We must change that. At the moment, the world is going through a major change, and Taiwan will undoubtedly be affected,” she said.
Lu said that since the Ma government entered office in May last year, the relationship between Taiwan and China has become closer than ever.
However, Lu said, the growing intimacy between the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) and the Chinese Communist Party would put Taiwan’s future in further jeopardy.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as