The government would be humiliating the Legislative Yuan and disregarding the public if it were to refuse to send the agreements signed in the forthcoming cross-strait negotiations to the legislature for review, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) legislative caucus said yesterday.
“The content of the third Chiang-Chen meeting is highly controversial. If the resolutions from the meeting can avoid legislative review, then the legislature would be humiliated three times,” DPP Legislator Lee Chun-yi (李俊毅) told a press conference at the Legislative Yuan.
Lee made the remarks in response to a Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister paper) report yesterday, which said that the government had decided that the three agreements scheduled to be signed in next month’s meeting between the Straits Exchange Foundation (SEF) and the Association of Relations Across the Taiwan Strait (ARATS) did not need to go through legislative scrutiny.
SEF Chairman Chiang Pin-kung (江丙坤) and ARATS Chairman Chen Yunlin (陳雲林) are scheduled to meet possible early next month to sign three agreements on financial cooperation, regular direct flights and joint efforts to combat crime.
Lee said yesterday the DPP would lodge “a serious protest” if the agreements were to dodge the legislative process. DPP Legislator Chen Ting-fei (陳亭妃) mocked the government for “not even being willing to treat the legislature like a rubber stamp” despite the fact that the agreements could easily coast through the legislature given the fact that the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) holds two-thirds of the seats in the legislature.
DPP Legislator Wong Chin-chu (翁金珠) panned the government for disregarding the will of the people and the Legislative Yuan, adding that the DPP caucus’ effort to present a draft bill stipulating the premises before any signing of cross-strait agreements had been blocked 19 times. She said her proposal to set up a task force within the Legislative Yuan on cross-strait affairs was also blocked.
“This clearly means that the administration doesn’t wish to find out what the people are thinking and it doesn’t want the legislature to keep an eye on the Chiang-Chen meetings,” she said.
When asked for comment, KMT caucus secretary-general Yang Chiung-ying (楊瓊瓔) said that in accordance with the Act Governing Relations between Peoples of the Taiwan Area and Peoples of the Mainland Area (兩岸人民關係條例), the agreements to be signed in the next round of cross-strait negotiations would only be referred to the legislature for “reference.” Despite this, she said, the KMT caucus would carry out its duty of supervising the government when the agreements are sent to the legislature.
Additional reporting by Flora Wang
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as