The Taipei City Government promised to take ads for an online game featuring a girl with large breasts off city buses yesterday after a growing number of complaints that the ads were objectifying women.
The National Communications Commission (NCC) said recently that the content of several ads for online games may have violated the Satellite Radio and Television Act (衛星廣播電視法) and banned one of the ads, featuring a girl named Shushu (舒舒) operating a jackhammer with close-ups of her breasts, from being shown on TV.
The print version of the ad, however, has been placed on the side of 26 buses in Taipei, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Taipei City Councilor Wu Su-yao (吳思瑤) told a press conference yesterday.
PHOTO: CNA
Chien Shu-pei (簡舒培), a member of the Taipei Association for the Promotion of Women's Rights, said such ads exploited the bodies of young girls and had a negative impact on children and women. She urged the city government to take action against the ads.
In response, Taipei City's Public Transportation Office deputy Director Liang Heng-de (梁恆德) acknowledged that the city government had been negligent and said his office would negotiate with the bus companies to have the ads removed immediately.
Wu criticized the city government for relaxing regulations on reviewing ads on public transport vehicles and infrastructure, including in MRT stations and on buses, and urged the city government to conduct a city-wide inspection of ads.
Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌) later promised to be more cautious on sexually suggestive ads during a question-and-answer session at the Taipei City Council.
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated