President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) on Tuesday broke his silence on former Toronto-based Government Information Office (GIO) official Kuo Kuan-ying (郭冠英) after 14 days, condemning his online articles smearing Taiwan and Taiwanese.
Ma at the time said he hoped the controversy would end, but analysts who believe the president’s comment was too little, too late said the controversy was unlikely to end anytime soon.
After repeated denials, Kuo last week admitted that he had written the controversial articles under the pen name Fan Lan-chin (范蘭欽). The articles say, among other things, that “[China] should spend many years suppressing [people in Taiwan] instead of granting any political freedom [to them] once it has taken Taiwan by force.”
PHOTO: HUANG CHIH-YUAN, TAIPEI TIMES
Presidential Office Spokesman Wang Yu-chi (王郁琦) said a person whose remarks incited ethnic hatred should be condemned, but emphasized that Kuo’s articles had been published between 2005 and 2007, when the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) was in power.
He also said that the controversy over Kuo’s remarks was the result of “provocation by some politicians.”
Criticizing Wang as “arrogant,” Hawang Shiow-duan (黃秀端), a political science professor at Soochow University, said Wang was implying the DPP was to blame for the articles.
Hawang said she believed there were more government officials like Kuo who have not “come out of the political closet.”
Hawang said the legislative by-election in Taipei City’s Da-an District had been among the factors contributing to Ma’s decision to come forward.
“Ma might have seen that the matter has gotten out of hand and that it was necessary for him to come out and say something,” Hawang said.
While Ma said he would like to see the controversy end here, Hawang said that whether it would end would hinge on Kuo’s attitude, pointing out that Kuo had continued to make contentious remarks in Toronto, as in an interview with ETTV on Wednesday in which he called himself a “hero.”
Chao Yung-mao (趙永茂), a political science professor at National Taiwan University, agreed that yesterday’s Da-an by-election “more or less” played a role in Ma’s comments.
Following the KMT’s defeat in a legislative by-election in Miaoli, it sought to court centrist voters and KMT sympathizers, Chao said.
The controversy over Kuo’s articles was not over, he said, because the issue would be mentioned repeatedly in elections and the investigation into the matter was not finished.
Career civil servants must remain politically neutral, Chao said, adding that Kuo would have had full freedom of speech had he not been a civil servant.
Joseph Tsai (蔡榮祥), a political science professor at National Chung Cheng University, said Ma’s decision to denounce Kuo had more to do with his own sliding approval rating.
“Most politicians are selfish. They usually do whatever is best for them. His approval rating has dropped to 28 percent, so it would be a good idea for him to do a little bit of damage control here, or he will be held responsible if Kuo continues to stir up controversy,” Tsai said.
Tsai said he believed Kuo was not the only “Fan Lan-chin” in the government.
Although Kuo was free to advocate unification with China, racist remarks could not be tolerated, Tsai said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as