Attracted by its beautiful natural scenery and on-screen appeal, people from Hong Kong are showing greater interest in vacationing in the Kenting beach area, local business sources said.
Hotel and guest house owners and motorbike rental shopkeepers said they have received a lot more inquiries about accommodations and car rentals on the Internet from Hong Kong residents in recent months.
The blockbuster movie Cape No. 7 (海角七號) has increased interest in this area of Taiwan, particularly among people from Hong Kong, said Apple Sun, a public relations official with the five-star Howard hotel in Kenting National Park.
“After a locally produced TV drama featuring Kenting was broadcast in Taiwan and neighboring countries last summer, we began receiving a lot more e-mails from Hong Kong people inquiring about accommodations,” Sun said.
The romantic movie — the most successful at in Taiwan box office history — was filmed in nearby Hengchun and screened late last year. It appealed to Chinese-speaking communities and global film festivals with its depiction of Taiwanese culture, humor, story line, music and beautifully shot scenes.
The number of Internet inquiries about accommodations from Hong Kong residents has increased markedly since the beginning of this year, while the actual number of Hong Kong visitors checking in at the Howard has also grown by 40 percent, Sun said.
“Before late last year, we received only one or two e-mails a month from Hong Kong people asking about room prices, but now we get around 40 inquiries per week,” Sun said.
Meanwhile, workers at the Kenting Youth Activity Center, which is run by a non-profit foundation, have also noticed a difference.
A clerk at the center’s reception counter surnamed Lee said “indeed, there have been more customers from Hong Kong and China since late last year.”
Although Taiwanese visitors are the bulk of its clientele, Lee said the number of Hong Kong tourists staying at the center in the first quarter had increased by 15 percent compared to a year ago.
“And surprisingly, the case is similar with Chinese tourists,” Lee said.
Lee said almost every visitor from Hong Kong was drawn to Kenting by Cape No. 7 in addition to Kenting’s beaches.
“Everyone from Hong Kong talked about the movie and they just loved it,” he said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as