Kaohsiung Mayor Chen Chu (陳菊) yesterday accused the Sports Affairs Council (SAC) of not supporting the city’s hosting of the World Games after the council froze the majority of its budget request.
“I have not seen any support from the SAC, even though Premier Liu [Chao-shiuan, 劉兆玄] previously said the central government was taking the Games seriously,” Chen told reporters at a press conference in Taipei.
“The SAC should give the Kaohsiung Organizing Committee [KOC] an opportunity to account for its budget request ... Without the money, the Games’ project team can’t continue their work,” she said.
Late last month, the SAC slashed NT$270 million (US$7.9 million) from Kaohsiung’s NT$730 million budget request and froze NT$290 million.
SAC Minister Tai Hsia-ling (戴遐齡) said at the time that “many” items on the budget request were “unreasonable” and that the city government had failed to provide comprehensive details of how the money was being spent.
When asked how the city government planned to solve the problem, Chen said: “I’m trying to figure out what to do.”
Earlier yesterday, Chen visited Legislative Speaker Wang Jin-pyng (王金平) to ask for help. She said the city government would “do something” if she did not see any progress.
In response to Chen’s remarks, SAC International Sports Department Director Chou Ruei (周瑞) said he did not understand why Chen had used the word “oppressive” to describe the SAC’s budget review.
“When former premier Chang Chun-hsiung (張俊雄) decided to provide funding to Kaohsiung to host the World Games in a special budget in 2007, he asked the council to review the use of the special budget in a careful and practical manner,” Chou said.
He said the SAC had frozen part of the budget because they could not tell from the items listed in the plan what exactly the city would do with the money and had asked the city to submit supplementary information.
The supplementary information did not arrive until last Friday and the SAC started reviewing it on Monday, he said, adding that the review was unfinished.
“The SAC supported the city’s bid to host the Games. Why would we want to oppose it now?” Chou said. “As a government employee, we are obligated to look after taxpayers’ money. The budget review will be done lawfully and fairly.”
Meanwhile, the KOC yesterday unveiled details of the Games’ opening ceremony at a press conference in Taipei.
The ceremony will feature a huge fireworks display and light show to highlight Kaohsiung’s status as a harbor city, the KOC said.
Tu Chien-kuo (??, chief planner for the ceremony’s creative team, said “technology, the ocean, steel and light” would be the four major elements of the show.
Show director Lee Hsiao-ping (李小平) said there would be three performances during the opening ceremony, one featuring a giant kite with Aboriginal totems, another featuring Taiwanese folk rituals and a traditional puppet show. The highlight will be a three-minute fireworks display around the stadium that would symbolize waves, Tu said.
New Zealand soprano Hayley Westenra will perform with other international and Taiwanese singers during the ceremony, Tu said.
“The goal is to introduce the beauty of Taiwan to the world,” the show’s chief director Ju Tzong-ching (朱宗慶) said. “I believe international viewers will be touched, while Taiwanese will be proud.”
Ju said 4,000 performers were expected to take part.
KOC board member Liu Shih-fang (劉世芳) said 3,178 athletes from 81 countries were scheduled to participate in the July Games, with Taiwan’s 262 athletes being the largest team.
Tickets for the Games will go on sale on Wednesday at 7-11 stores across the country and will cost between NT$75 and NT$750, Liu said.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY SHELLEY SHAN
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated