Former first lady Wu Shu-jen (吳淑珍) appeared in court in her last pre-trial hearing yesterday, where her lawyers requested that four witnesses related to her money laundering case be summoned.
Wu, accompanied by her son Chen Chih-chung (陳致中), a doctor, nurse and caregiver arrived at the Taipei District Court at approximately 2:10pm, 20 minutes before the start of the hearing.
When the hearing began, presiding Judge Tsai Shou-hsun (蔡守訓) asked Wu about her physical condition. Wu, appearing tired, said: “My blood pressure is a bit low.”
Tsai told her that she should let the court know if she was not feeling well enough to continue, before listening to arguments relating to the money laundering and forgery cases.
Wu admitted to the existence of companies and bank accounts, both domestic and overseas, that were listed in the indictment. However, she told Tsai that some of the money had been transfered before 2000 when her husband, former president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁), was inaugurated.
Because Wu appeared weaker than usual, Tsai let her rest for 20 minutes a half-hour after the hearing began.
Wu’s lawyer Lin Chih-chung (林志忠) requested that the court summon Wu’s financial advisers Yeh Ling-ling (葉玲玲) and Hsu Li-te (徐立德), Wu’s elder brother Wu Ching-mao (吳景茂) and former chairwoman of Taipei Financial Center Corp Diana Chen (陳敏薰) as witnesses in the money laundering case.
Wu asked Tsai if all four witnesses could be called on the same day, a request Tsai said the court would be happy to comply with because “each time you come, it costs a lot of money.”
However, he expressed concern that Wu’s poor health would not allow her to sit in court for such a long period of time.
“Just don’t ask [the witnesses] too many questions,” Wu said, which sparked laughter in the courtroom.
“I won’t talk as much as the [former] president,” Wu said, which prompted further laughter.
Tsai and Wu reached an agreement that the first three witnesses — the financial advisers and her elder brother — would be called on the same day. Diana Chen would be called separately.
The hearing ended at 3:50pm.
Wu’s trial will begin on Tuesday, when the former president’s bookkeeper Chen Chen-hui (陳鎮慧) will be called as the first witness.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as