Taiwan is restructuring its program for donating grain to Haiti following a string of typhoons last year, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said yesterday.
The storms have raised concerns over domestic rice supply, said Joseph Kuo (郭永樑), head of the Department of Central and South American Affairs.
Kuo said that in collaboration with the Haitian government and international aid organization Food for the Poor (FFP), Taiwan has donated more than 14,000 tonnes of rice to the Caribbean country since 2003. More than 18,000 Haitians have benefited from the project, he said.
In the past, the annual donation from Taiwan was usually at least a few thousand tonnes.
“In 2007, there was a minor situation. We have to be mindful of the safety level of our national rice stock, which became insufficient because of [agricultural damage] brought on by a string of typhoons,” he said.
Although FFP has asked Taiwan to continue its usual donation, Kuo said that because of the severe damage caused by several typhoons last year, Taiwan is mulling whether to limit the size of its aid package to a maximum of 200 tonnes of rice on a case-by-case basis each time Port-au-Prince or FFP requests grain.
The Council of Agriculture will examine the situation before making a final decision, he said.
MOFA Spokesman Henry Chen (陳銘政) later said the new policy aimed to protect and preserve the nation’s ability to provide enough rice to its own people, adding that Taiwan does not have a rice shortage.
In related news, Minister of Foreign Affairs Francisco Ou (歐鴻鍊) yesterday received a medal from the Dominican Republic government for his years of contribution in promoting bilateral friendship between Santo Domingo and Taipei.
Ou also signed an agreement at the ceremony promising to boost the number of Taiwanese volunteers sent by the International Cooperation and Development Fund to serve in the Caribbean country.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated