Worried that their tribe's culture and language may soon perish, Saisiat Aborigines yesterday demanded the government fulfill President Ma Ying-jeou's (馬英九) campaign promise on Aboriginal autonomy as soon as possible.
“We, the Saisiat, are facing a crisis in our language and culture because outside governments — from the Japanese to the Republic of China — have restricted our right to speak our own language,” Saisiat chieftain Chao Shan-yu (趙山玉) told a news conference at the legislature before marching to the Executive Yuan to deliver a petition with dozens of other Saisiat tribesmen.
“There are not many of us — less than 10,000 — but we're determined to preserve our culture and language, and we urge the government to respect our rights and take our demands seriously,” Chao said.
Chao Shan-ho (趙山河), the deputy speaker of the Saisiat Assembly, said while his tribe has been actively preparing for tribal autonomy since the Aboriginal Basic Act (原住民族基本法) — which provides a legal basis for Aboriginal autonomy — took effect in 2005, they were shocked when UNESCO listed the Saisiat language as “critically endangered” in a report released last month and they believe autonomy is now an urgent matter.
The Saisiat assembly was modeled on the traditional tribal decision-making mechanism and was set up more than three years ago. Last year, an election was held for the assembly's lower house and a Saisiat autonomy bill was drafted.
After being ruled by various governments, the Saisiats now realize that the only way to preserve their language, culture and social system is through autonomy.
“We are calling on the government to lend us a hand,” Chao said.
The Saisiat have been actively preparing for tribal autonomy, but they are not happy that the government has ignored their wishes.
“President Ma promised Aboriginal autonomy 'on a trial basis' and we've been working hard to prepare for it, yet we haven't heard anything back from the government,” assembly spokesman Obay a Awi said. “The government should listen to our voices and not make policy decisions from the top.”
The tribesmen later marched to the Executive Yuan and were received by officials who accepted their petition.
“We'll wait for a response from the Cabinet for a month. If nothing happens we will take other action,” Obay said after walking out of the Executive Yuan.
He said the Saisiat were considering coordinated action with other Aboriginal tribes seeking autonomy to pressure the government.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of