President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) yesterday promised to uncover the truth behind the 228 Incident and said the government should apologize for its past mistakes to eliminate hatred in society.
“I believe we should face the 228 Incident and history, and focus discussions on the issue itself. We should eliminate the hatred and feel sympathy for each other,” Ma said yesterday when attending a symposium at Academia Sinica.
“The truth should be made public, regardless of the controversy it may cause. [Revealing the truth] gives families of the victims the justice they deserve and is what a responsible government should do,” Ma said.
Ma said the government began its efforts to acknowledge the mistakes and offer public apologies over the incident under former president Lee Teng-hui’s (李登輝) administration, and he expected the government’s acknowledgment of its mistakes to bring social reconciliation.
Several family members of those murdered, however, erupted into a war of words shortly after Ma left.
Lin Li-tsai (林黎彩), a 228 victim family member, condemned the organizers for refusing to let her inside the symposium during Ma’s speech. She also urged the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) to return its party assets to the public.
Lin’s remarks were not welcomed by other participants, who urged her not to politicize the issue.
Also yesterday, Ma reaffirmed that the government would continue to support the operations of the 228 Memorial Foundation.
Last month, the legislature passed a motion proposed by KMT Legislator Hung Hsiu-chu (洪秀柱) to cancel the NT$300 million (US$8.6 million) budget for the 228 Memorial Foundation, saying that the Act for Handling and Compensation for the 228 Incident (二二八事件賠償及處理條例), which created the foundation, was a temporary law and should have been abolished seven years after it’s enactment in 1995.
Hung’s move met with strong criticism from pan-green politicians and 228 victims’ families.
“The 228 Memorial Foundation is not only about handing out compensation — it is also researching the incident’s history and educating people about it,” Ma said at a ceremony to inaugurate a special exhibition at the Taipei 228 Memorial Museum. “Therefore, the foundation’s operations should continue.”
“As most of the survivors of the 228 Incident have passed away, it’s time for us to find out the facts about the 228 Incident without the involvement of personal emotions,” Ma said.
Ma also said that he would keep his campaign promise to establish a national 228 memorial museum.
“But this should be done only after a law is created to provide a legal basis for the museum’s budget,” he said.
SEE EDITORIAL ON PAGE 8
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated