Prosecutors yesterday said they would not appeal a verdict handed down by the Taiwan High Court Kaohsiung branch that dropped corruption charges against former Presidential Office deputy secretary-general Chen Che-nan (陳哲男) in connection with the Kaohsiung Rapid Transit Corp (KRTC) scandal.
The High Court verdict was finalized on Jan. 15 but prosecutors did not receive it until earlier this month. Appeals can be made within 10 days of receiving the verdict.
“To make a successful appeal, we would need to prove that the evidence is not valid or the verdict itself violates laws or decrees,” said a spokesman for the Taiwan High Court Kaohsiung branch’s Prosecutors’ Office, Chiang Hui-min (江惠民). “We decided not to appeal because we do not see anything like that in this case.”
Chen was accused of helping Huapan Co, the firm in charge of hiring and managing Thai laborers working on Kaohsiung’s MRT project, by winning contracts for the project in exchange for all-expenses paid trips to Thailand, Vietnam and South Korea. The case came to light after Thai workers rioted on Aug. 21, 2005, over working conditions.
On Nov. 21, 2005, Chen was indicted on corruption charges along with 22 other defendants, including officials, a brokerage company staffer and four Thai workers who were riot ringleaders.
Kaohsiung District Court handed down the first verdict for the case in 2007 when judges decided to drop corruption charges against Chen because prosecutors could not prove that the hospitality Chen received was related to his position as Presidential Office deputy secretary-general.
At the time, Huapan general manager Yen Shih-hua (嚴世華) and his wife Wang Tsai-pi (王彩碧) were sentenced to 42 months and four years in jail respectively for taking kickbacks.
Along with those against Chen, charges against them were dropped in the high court verdict on Jan. 15.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as