The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) yesterday reminded people planning to travel to China with children to ensure their young ones receive a measles immunization prior to departure, following recent reports of measles infections traceable to China.
The most recent case involved a five-year-old boy from northern Taiwan who came down with a fever and rash early this month soon after returning from a trip to the south during the Lunar New Year holiday, centers Deputy Director-General Chou Jih-haw (周志浩) said.
An investigation found the boy had been hospitalized for other ailments for four days during his stay in the south and shared a room with an 11-month-old girl who was infected with measles. He contracted the measles virus from the girl, Chou said.
The girl, whose mother is a Chinese citizen, fell ill soon after returning from a trip to China last month. She had not received the measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine, Chou said.
The boy, whose mother is also a Chinese citizen, had also never received the MMR vaccine, although he was given one dose of the measles vaccine in China when he was nine months old, Chou said.
The case followed another reported late last year, in which a cluster of seven measles infections was traced to a 20-month-old boy from Kaohsiung who contracted the disease in China, he said.
Adding that the number of measles cases reported in China has been on the rise over the past three years, Chou urged parents not to take children who have not received the MMR vaccine to China.
In Taiwan, children are normally given a first dose of the MMR vaccine when they are between 12 and 15 months old and a booster shot during their first year of elementary school.
In light of the high virulence of the measles virus, the CDC advised parents not to skip the MMR inoculation for their children, including those who have received the measles vaccine before reaching one year old.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and