The government has discovered more than 40 civil servants who had been involved in inappropriate dealings with Chinese officials during trips to China, according to a letter the Ministry of Justice recently sent to departments of civil service ethics nationwide.
The letter was sent to the departments in the wake of reports of a scandal late last year involving Presidential Office officials allegedly conspiring with the Chinese government.
In the letter, the ministry urged civil servants to be careful about what they say and do in China, saying that four of the 40 implicated civil servants had been secretly filmed by the Chinese government at hostess lounges in China and were then blackmailed into becoming informers for Beijing.
Kuan Kao-yueh (管高岳), director of the ministry’s Department of Government Ethics, said the letter had been sent to departments of civil service ethics in the hope of raising awareness among civil servants of the perils of trips to China.
When asked to elaborate on the four civil servants who had been blackmailed, Kuan said he had received the information from another government agency and that he was not sure about further details.
Kuan said that since the government was mulling allowing senior civil servants to visit China soon, the ministry’s Department of Government Ethics hoped that local ethics departments could educate their staff about potential dangers that might await them in China, especially the risk of being lured into an adulterous situation and then being blackmailed.
During a county government meeting on Tuesday, Chen Shan-ken (陳杉根), director of the Taichung County Government’s Personnel Department, said that two of the incidents involving male civil servants being blackmailed in China had happened to junior civil servants.
Chen said the two were secretly recorded in hostess lounges and then threatened by Chinese nationals asking for information on the Taiwanese government not long after the civil servants returned home.
Chen said 26 Taichung County government officials went to China on official business last year, while one went to visit their ancestral home in Fujian Province.
Taichung City’s Department of Civil Service Ethics Director Hsu Chin-lai (許金來) said the ministry had sent out the letter before the Lunar New Year holidays requesting that all officials who visit China keep confidentiality in mind and beware of potential spies at all times.
In addition to having departments of civil service ethics prepare officials going abroad for the dangers they might face, the National Security Bureau and the ministry’s Investigation Bureau will also periodically ask government personnel offices to provide them with lists of officials who have made both official and unofficial visits to China, ministry staffers said.
Any civil servant found to have had dealings with Chinese spies or unusual contacts with Chinese government officials will be monitored and investigated, they said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as