The Presidential Office yesterday defended the government's decision to change the title of the National Taiwan Democracy Memorial Hall back to Chiang Kai-shek (CKS) Memorial Hall.
In a letter published by the Chinese-language China Times yesterday, Yunlin County Deputy Commissioner Lee Ying-yuan (李應元) dismissed the government decision as “hasty.”
Lee said President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) lacked the “breadth of mind” that new US President Barack Obama had shown in trying to resolve political conflict in Washington.
Responding to the criticism, Presidential Office Spokesman Wang Yu-chi (王郁琦) said in a press release that it was the government's responsibility to reinstate the hall's original title because the former Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) government's move to change its name by passing an administrative order was “illegal.”
Wang said the Organic Act of the CKS Memorial Hall (中正紀念堂組織條例) was passed by the Legislative Yuan, and the former administration's move to rename the hall by having the Executive Yuan pass the Organic Regulations of the National Taiwan Democracy Memorial Hall (台灣民主紀念館組織規程) had no legal bearing.
“An administrative order cannot override a law,” Wang said, adding that this was a fundamental principle in a society ruled by law.
It was the government's duty to defend the law and restore the name CKS Hall, he said.
On Wednesday, the Ministry of Education announced the plan to reinstate the name CKS Hall by the end of July.
In 2007, the DPP government renamed the memorial as part of its efforts to remove monuments and rename places that commemorated dictator Chiang Kai-shek (蔣介石).
The move was condemned by the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT)-dominated legislature. The replacement of the name plaque at the hall led to scuffles between pan-blue and pan-green supporters.
Following the KMT's election victory last May, Premier Liu Chao-shiuan (劉兆玄) on Aug. 21 instructed the Executive Yuan to withdraw the former DPP administration's request to abolish the Organic Act of the CKS Memorial Hall and to scrap the Organic Regulations of the National Taiwan Democracy Memorial Hall.
Vice Minister of Education Lu Mu-lin (呂木琳) said in a press conference on Wednesday that the ministry had made the decision without first holding a public forum as promised by Minister of Education Cheng Jei-cheng (鄭瑞城) last August.
Lu said the forum was never held because experts attending another closed-door forum thought holding a public discussion on the hall issue could spark more conflict.
In the China Times letter, Lee said: “Although President Ma was elected with the support of the majority of Taiwanese people, he failed to make any comments to resolve political hostility in the nation and to achieve reconciliation between different ethnic groups.”
Wang said he respected Lee's “personal opinion,” but added that Ma had been steadily promoting reconciliation between different political camps and maintaining ethnic harmony.
Wang said Ma had also nominated a number of pan-green figures for the Control Yuan and Examination Yuan.
He said the president had invited DPP Chairperson Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) to discuss national affairs, but Tsai had turned down the invitation on numerous occasions.
Wang urged Lee to advise Tsai to accept Ma's invitation so they could sit down and discuss cooperation for the sake of the nation.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as