Any maritime aid asked or given between China and Taiwan are matters solely between the two sides and the US will help any vessel in distress regardless of nationality, the American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) said yesterday, but refused to comment on the possibility of the US providing escort for Taiwanese vessels in the Gulf of Aden.
In a telephone interview with Taipei Times, AIT Press Officer Lawrence Walker said that available US naval ships would assist any troubled vessel that requests assistance, in accordance with international customary practices and sea laws.
On Tuesday, AIT released a statement to the Central News Agency (CNA) saying: “AIT has discussed with Taiwan the problem of piracy in the Gulf of Aden. We refer you to the Taiwan authorities for information about their plans to protect their shipping. Piracy is a global crime. If any vessel is in distress anywhere in the world and requests assistance, the US Navy has a responsibility to render assistance, if feasible.”
Walker said the statement was consistent with the US commitment to Taiwan’s security as outlined in the Taiwan Relations Act, the three US-China communiques and Washington’s long-standing “one China” policy.
‘NOTHING TO ADD’
When asked about the US government stance on providing escort assistance to Taiwanese vessels to preempt possible attacks, Walker said: “AIT has nothing more to add to the statement.”
AIT also declined to comment on why the US contacted the news agency on its own initiative to release the statement.
The US statement came after Beijing announced on Tuesday last week that it was willing to provide escort assistance to Taiwanese vessels.
Minister of Foreign Affairs Francisco Ou (歐鴻鍊) said the government was still mulling whether to dispatch naval frigates to the troubled waters off Somalia, but acknowledged “technical difficulties” such as finding places to fuel during the long journey.
Until the technicalities are smoothed out, Taiwan might be better off seeking international assistance rather than tackling the problem on its own, he said.
IN TALKS
Taiwan is in talks with the US and EU on the issue, he said, but no details had been discussed.
On Tuesday, the Democratic Progressive Party accused the ministry of failing to protect Taiwan’s sovereignty when a Formosa Plastics-owned ship reportedly came under the protection of the Chinese navy to prevent pirate attacks. The incident was an example of President Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) submission to Beijing, the party said.
Ou said the ministry would safeguard the nation’s sovereignty, but that it was not the decision-maker on sending military backup to the region.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as