■ ENVIRONMENT
Su Jun-pin to replace Shih
The Executive Yuan yesterday said Taoyuan County Government Environmental Protection Bureau (EPB) chief Su Jun-pin (蘇俊賓) would succeed Vanessa Shih (史亞平) as Government Information Office minister and Executive Yuan spokesperson. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs also announced that Shih would become the country’s representative to Singapore, filling a vacancy left open three months ago when Kuo Shih-nan (郭時南), appointed by the former Democratic Progressive Party government, stepped down. Premier Liu Chao-shiuan (劉兆玄) said yesterday the Singaporean government had approved Shih’s appointment.
■ CIVIC GROUPS
Government to increase aid
The government is expected to increase its funding for local non-governmental organizations (NGO) to cooperate with international groups, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said yesterday. David Wu (吳建國), deputy head of the Department of NGO Affairs, said the government welcomed NGOs to set up offices here as soon as issues such as tax policies were addressed. Wu said the government would increase its aid next year to local NGOs to work with groups abroad such as the US-based Mercy Corp on treating diseases and handling disasters, among other projects.
■ CRIME
Prosecutor sentenced
The Kaohsiung District Court on Monday sentenced a former prosecutor to eight years and six months in prison on charges of corruption, rape, forced obscene acts and obstruction of personal freedom. Wu Chieh-jen (吳傑人), a prosecutor of the Kaohsiung Prosecutors’ Office, was found guilty of committing the offenses against more than 10 women who were targets of his investigations between 1999 and 2006. The court also decided to strip Wu of civil rights for five years after he finishes serving his prison term. The court ordered that Wu undergo mandatory treatment for his sexual urges before beginning his prison term. According to the prosecution, Wu used his influence as a prosecutor to coerce the women to have sex with him and succeeded in compelling one of the women to have sex with him twice in June 2006.
■ LABOR
Hotel dispute resolved
The labor dispute at the Kaohsiung Grand Hotel was resolved yesterday after the management promised to withdraw a plan to lay off 108 employees working for the hotel’s club. The deal was made at a meeting between labor and management representatives at the Legislative Yuan and was arbitrated by Legislative Speaker Wang Jin-pyng (王金平). It was agreed that the 108 employees would take a 10 percent voluntary salary cut starting in March and will be given full salaries after the hotel begins making a profit.
■ SOCIETY
TV reports corrected
A secretary to Control Yuan President Wang Chien-shien yesterday corrected a report by cable TV stations that said he had been hospitalized since last Wednesday at Taipei Veterans General Hospital because of a myocardial infarction. Wang sought medical treatment as he was experiencing cardiac arrhythmia, his secretary said, adding that Wang did not undergo surgery as stations had reported. The secretary said that Wang was expected to be released from the hospital this afternoon.
■ IMMIGRATION
Tibetans get a break
About 110 Tibetan people who overstayed their visas will be granted temporary alien residence certificates early next year, the National Immigration Agency (NIA) said in a statement late on Monday. The NIA decided to offer overstaying Tibetans temporary residence certificates after working with the Mongolian and Tibetan Affairs Commission in helping them resolve their current difficulties out of human rights considerations, the statement said. The NIA previously granted similar temporary residence permits to overstaying Thai and Myanmar students who are descendants of former Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) troops and have not been given citizenship by their respective countries of residence.
■ JUSTICE
‘Auntie’ files lawsuit
A 35-year-old woman is suing her neighbor for insulting her after he called her “Auntie,” it was reported yesterday. The woman, identified only by her surname Chen, is married and lives in Kaohsiung City. Her neighbor Wang, 30, parked his car near Chen’s door, which she objected to, the report said. Wang apologized, saying he was parking for a short time and would move soon. But Chen continued to complain. Wang, who was in hurry, said: “Auntie, let’s not quarrel over these trivial matters.” Chen said she felt aggrieved and sued Wang for “public insult.” “I have a good education, have a good job, earn a good salary, dress elegantly and have good manners. All my clothes are brand-name products,” she told police. “‘Auntie’ is the term used to refer to old women who yell with a harsh voice in the street, especially country bumpkins. So calling me ‘auntie’ is certainly an insult,” she told police, who failed to persuade her to drop the suit.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as