The Council of Labor Affairs (CLA) yesterday launched a plan to subsidize private sector on-the-job training programs to encourage training for employees instead of laying them off or forcing unpaid leave.
“This is a good time for [companies to provide] on-the-job training,” said Chen I-min (陳益民), director-general of the Bureau of Employment and Vocational Training.
Instead of layoffs or unpaid leave, companies can consider training their workers now when business is slow to prepare them for when the economy improves, he said.
The Plan of Promoting Employment Skill in the Short-term will subsidize between 50 percent and 100 percent of a qualifying company’s training costs, up to NT$950,000 (US$28,500) for medium to small-sized companies, and up to NT$1,900,000 for large companies. The council has set aside a budget of NT$2.7 billion and aims to help 200,000 workers with the plan, CLA Minister Jennifer Wang (王如玄) said.
The council will be taking applications now through Sept. 30 next year, and will evaluate the applications based on a first-come, first-served basis, she said.
Companies that have sought free business consultation services from the council’s Employment Stabilization Task Force may qualify for as much as a 100 percent subsidy, Wang said.
The task force was launched last month to counsel businesses that are considering mass layoffs. Comprised of council officials, the Ministry of Economic Affairs, local labor bureaus and experts in the fields of accounting, law and management consulting, the team aims to help businesses think of ways beside layoffs to lower costs during the economic downturn.
Since its launch, “10 companies have already been counseled, and six of them have agreed to scale down their layoffs or use unpaid leave instead,” Wang said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as