Engineering experts yesterday confirmed that the Maokong Gondola system was situated in a sensitive area prone to landslides, and they urged the Taipei City Government to relocate the damaged support pillar known as Tower No. 16 to the northeast or southwest for the sake of the line’s safety.
“It is our conclusion and suggestion that the erosion around Tower No. 16 will continue and the tower should be relocated. However, the final decision is for the city government to make,” Shih Yi-fang (施義芳), spokesman for four civil engineering associations said yesterday at the Taipei Professional Civil Engineering Association.
The four associations were invited by the city government to conduct an evaluation on the system after the base of Tower No. 16 was eroded by mudslides. A full report was released yesterday and sent to the city government.
In the 120-page report, the associations said the tower was built in a sensitive area, and the heavy rains brought by typhoons accelerated the erosion. The city government should complete land conservation work on the slope and prevent further construction in that area, it said.
Shih said the selection of the location was not included among the evaluated items, but the Construction Law (建築法) states that areas that are prone to landslides and erosions should not be developed.
Lan Chao-hsiang (藍朝祥), director of the Taipei Structural Engineers Association, declined to comment on the city government’s failure to follow the suggestions and relocate the pillar immediately, and insisted that the associations’ duty was to present the evaluation.
“Even if the city government is not happy about what we said, our evaluation and suggestions remain the same,” he said.
The associations suggested that the damaged pillar be relocated 20m to 30m away from its current site, while urging the city government to complete Environmental Impact Assessments and land conservation plans before breaking ground on major construction projects for the sake of public safety.
In response, Taipei City Government spokesman Yang Hsiao-tung (羊曉東) said the evaluation report, which said the erosion was caused by the sensitive geology and heavy rain during the period, proved that Tower No. 16 was not the main cause of the erosion.
Yang said French company POMA, which was responsible for building and installing the gondola, had already sent staff to Taiwan on Thursday to discuss methods of dismantling the wire cable and cabins of the system.
The city government and POMA were also searching for alternative sites for the pillar, but the city government had not abandoned the possibility of rebuilding the pillar on its current site, he said.
Yang said the city government’s goal was to resume the gondola’s operation, but there would be no timetable as to when the service would reopen to the public.
Taipei City’s Department of Government Ethics is conducting a report on the responsibility of city officials in the construction of the gondola. Yang said the report was not yet complete.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated