The National Palace Museum, holder of the world’s largest collection of Chinese artifacts, plans to hold an exhibition in the UK and Japan, the museum said yesterday.
“We are negotiating with the British Museum for an exchange of exhibitions — we will hold an exhibition of Chinese treasures at the British Museum and they will display their collection of Greek sculptures at the National Palace Museum,” a museum press officer said.
“The negotiations are ongoing. We don’t know when the exhibitions can be held, because even after we have reached an agreement, we have to wait till both museums have the space to hold the exhibitions,” she said, asking not to be named.
The museum is also seeking to hold an exhibition in Japan.
“Many Japanese museums have invited us to hold an exhibition in Japan, but the obstacle is that Japan does not have the Law of Guaranteed Return, which ensures that after the exhibition, our exhibits will be returned to Taiwan and not be seized by China,” she said.
“We hope Japan can either enact the Law of the Guaranteed Return or issue a statement, with legal effect, to pledge that our exhibits will be returned to Taiwan after the exhibition,” the press officer said.
Some 2.6 million Taiwanese and foreigners visit the National Palace Museum each year. Half are Japanese, who are often particularly interested in Chinese calligraphy.
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) government took the best artifacts from the Palace Museum in Beijing and a museum in Nanjing — a total of 650,000 pieces — and brought them to Taipei when it lost the Chinese Civil War in 1949.
Since then, the artifacts have been preserved at the National Palace Museum and are put on display by rotation.
China considers the artworks the heritage of China, and fearing that Beijing might impound the artifacts through its diplomatic ties with other countries, Taiwan has allowed the National Palace Museum to send its treasures abroad on only a few occasions.
In February, the museum held an exhibition in Austria following two years of negotiations to convince Vienna to sign the Law of Guaranteed Return.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as