Environmentalists protested in front of the Ministry of Transportation and Communications (MOTC) yesterday, accusing the government of not developing green and alternative transportation methods in the east of the country as promised while moving ahead with the controversial Suhua Freeway under the table.
The protest came just days before the Global Day of Action against global warming on Dec 6.
Chanting slogans such as, “December 6th, Taiwan be cool” and “Drive less, fight global warming,” Society of Wilderness spokesperson Tony Chou (周東漢) told reporters: “We all thought the Suhua Freeway issue was closed, but in reality it is still very much alive.”
PHOTO: WANG YI-SUNG, TAIPEI TIMES
The disputed project, proposed more than a decade ago, was halted on April 25 when it failed to pass the Environmental Protection Administration’s environmental impact evaluation.
The project was returned to the ministry, which means that if the ministry wanted to go ahead with the project (pending Cabinet approval), it would have to begin a new environmental review process.
The protesters were angered by the ministry’s proposed budget for next year, which is due to go through a legislative review process between now and January, Chou said.
“While not a single dollar has been allocated for the purchase of new trains for the east coast and there has been no mention of the Suhua Freeway alternate route that Premier Liu Chao-shiuan (劉兆玄) spoke about earlier, a budget for the Suhua Freeway has been listed from now until 2014, amounting to about NT$93 billion [US$2.8 billion],” Chou said.
Chou was referring to Liu’s announcement in early July that the government planned to construct “an alternative road” to the Suhua Highway connecting Nanao (南澳) in Ilan County and Hoping (和平) in Hualien County. The announcement led environmentalists to accuse the government of playing name games, especially after Minister of Transportation and Communications Mao Chi-kuo (毛治國) said soon afterwards that the alternative route would be “of freeway standard” but would not be the Suhua Freeway.
“There is only a brief mention of an ‘improvement plan’ for the Suhua Highway, with a budget of about NT$30 million,” Green Party Taiwan Secretary-General Pan Han-shen (潘翰聲) said.
“To get the NT$93 billion budget for the freeway, the ministry will take NT$7 billion from its budget, request NT$20.4 billion from the national budget, while getting the remaining NT$65 billion from selling government bonds and going into debt,” Pan said.
“This is an act that would leave a heavy debt for generations to come,” he said.
However, national highway construction section chief Lan Wei-gung (藍維恭) said yesterday that it was necessary to list the freeway project in the budget because some accounts for the project had yet to be formally closed.
It was “like a company would list its losses on its books,” he said.
“This is just like any company’s accounts book … The Suhua Freeway had been going on for many years. It went through a formal budget review and bidding process, so the books must reflect the activities because some of the accounts have not yet be settled,” he said.
Budgets were planned for the freeway until 2014, but that does not mean that it would happen now, he said.
“From what we can see now, it would be impossible for the Suhua Freeway to be allocated funds in the 2010 budget book,” he said.
As for the improvement plan for the Suhua Highway, Lan said it was written in the budget book to offer legislators alternative options to the freeway or its alternative route.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as