President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) yesterday called on several politicians, including former president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁), to end their hunger strikes.
Chen, taken to a detention center on Wednesday after the Taipei District Court consented to a request by prosecutors earlier that day that he be held incommunicado, has stopped eating food and has only been drinking water. He said his arrest was politically motivated.
Yunlin County Commissioner Su Chih-fen (蘇治芬) and Chiayi County Commissioner Chen Ming-wen (陳明文) have also staged hunger strikes to protest the accusations of corruption against them. Su began a hunger strike after she was arrested on Nov. 4 for allegedly taking a total of NT$21 million (US$635,000) in bribes in two separate cases. Su was released on Friday after being indicted on corruption charges.
Chen Ming-wen was taken into custody on Oct. 28 on suspicion he engaged in graft by leaking confidential information to help a businessman win a tender worth more than NT$650 million.
He has been on a hunger strike since Tuesday.
Making the call during an interview on a radio station in Taichung City, Ma yesterday said the politicians should begin eating normally to maintain their health and energy, which he said was essential for them to be able to face “future challenges.”
Ma said similar situations had occurred before and that the authorities had established a standard procedure to deal with them.
Chen is under investigation for embezzlement, bribe-taking, money laundering and illegally removing classified documents from the Presidential Office.
Lee Da-chu (李大竹), deputy warden of the detention center where the former president is held, said yesterday that Chen has shown signs of nausea and acid reflux vomiting and that physicians would evaluate his condition to decide whether to force him to be fed intravenously.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY MO YAN-CHIH
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty