A French judge on Wednesday ordered the dismissal without trial of one of France’s biggest graft cases involving the 1991 sale of French warships to Taiwan, judicial sources said.
Judge Renaud van Ruymbeke found there were no grounds for a trial over accusations of massive kickbacks after prosecutors cited a lack of evidence.
France led a seven-year inquiry into claims that illegal commissions were paid to politicians, military officers and middlemen in Taiwan, China and France as part of a US$2.8 billion contract with Taiwan for six frigates.
French investigators wrapped up the probe in 2006, but complained they had been denied access by the government to top-secret defense files at the heart of the case.
State prosecutor Jean-Claude Marin in August requested that the case be dropped, saying the investigation had not “brought to light the existence of retro-commissions [kickbacks].”
The prosecutor said the probe had “not enabled the beneficiaries to be identified.”
The Taiwanese Navy bought the six Lafayette-class frigates from French defense company Thomson-CSF (now called Thales).
A 2001 investigation by Taiwan’s highest anti-graft body concluded that as much as US$400 million in kickbacks may have been paid throughout the course of the deal.
Thirteen military officers and 15 arms brokers in Taiwan were convicted of bribery and leaking military secrets in connection with the case and have been jailed.
In France, the scandal drew in a colorful cast of characters, including former foreign minister Roland Dumas, his then-mistress Christine Deviers-Joncour — whom he later dubbed “Mata Hari” — and Loik Le Floch-Prigent, the flamboyant former head of then state oil giant Elf.
Although Elf was not officially involved in the deal, it paid Deviers-Joncour to convince Dumas to drop his opposition to the sale. The former minister had feared it would strain Paris’ ties with Beijing.
The former minister, who was questioned in the case, claimed to know who received the alleged kickbacks, but accused governments of locking up documents that could have identified them.
Former finance ministers Laurent Fabius, Francis Mer and Thierry Breton invoked state secrecy laws to oppose the release of the documents sought by investigators.
Allegations of backhanders emerged after the body of Taiwanese Navy Captain Yin Ching-feng (尹清楓), who was opposed to the deal, was found floating in the sea off Ilan in 1993.
At the time, Yin ran the Taiwanese Navy’s weapons acquisitions office.
Further suspicions arose when Swiss courts discovered US$520 million in accounts held by businessman Andrew Wang (汪傳浦), the main suspect in the case.
Wang, dubbed “Mister Shampoo” for his supposed wizardry as a money launderer, was allegedly tasked with convincing Taiwan to buy the ships and renege on a nearly clinched deal with South Korea’s Hyundai.
Taiwan is still seeking the return of the US$520 million held in Wang’s Swiss accounts, but Switzerland in April rejected the request.
A total of US$900 million remain frozen by Swiss banks on suspicion of being bribes.
A Swiss court judgment concluded that bribes had been paid by Thomson-CSF to middlemen in the deal.
Taiwan is still seeking hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation and interest from France. It argues that the under-the-table payments paid to ensure the deal that went through were explicitly forbidden by the contract.
The penalty clause in the contract stipulated reimbursement of the hidden payments.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated