Minister of National Defense Chen Chao-min (陳肇敏) said yesterday that if the US does not approve Taiwan’s arms procurement package, not only would it affect the nation’s defense capability but it would also lead other democratic countries to cast doubt on US pledges and its ability to promote democracy.
Chen, who is attending a defense industry conference in the US, told reporters that while the government of President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) is committed to improving relations with China, it puts national security first, and Taiwan needs a strong defense capability to negotiate from a position of strength.
Failure to upgrade Taiwan’s air force would cause a military imbalance between Taiwan and China, he said.
If Taiwan were to fall to China, it would break the chain of islands that make up the US’ forward line of defense in the region, he said.
Chen said the budget for buying F-16 aircraft had been approved by the legislature.
However, if the current arms sales package is not approved by the US, the budget would have to be resubmitted, and it is not certain that the funds would be available next time, he said.
Taiwan is seeking to buy seven weapons systems from the US — anti-tank missiles, Apache helicopters, Patriot PAC-3 missile batteries, diesel-electric submarines, P3C Orion anti-submarine aircraft, sea-launched Harpoon anti-ship missiles and Black Eagle helicopters.
The US State Department on Friday told Taiwanese media based in Washington that the arms procurement package was still under interdepartmental screening by the administration and that it would notify Congress immediately when it reaches a decision.
Congress was scheduled to enter into recess last Friday, but it was postponed for a week because of the deadlock over a US$700 billion bailout package for Wall Street.
Chen, who will also visit Taiwanese naval and air force officers being trained in California and Arizona, is the first Taiwanese defense minister to travel to the US since 2002, when Tang Yao-ming (湯曜明) attended a similar conference in Texas.
In Taipei, Ministry of National Defense (MND) spokeswoman Major General Lisa Chi (池玉蘭) said the ministry’s resolve and stance on the arms package remains unchanged as it awaits the US administration’s decision.
The ministry is still hopeful that Washington will agree to sell the weapons systems to Taiwan, even though Congress will soon go into recess, she said.
“It has not yet come to the last moment,” she said. “We of course are still cautiously optimistic and hold out hope that the arms package will be approved.”
Although Congress is now focused on the bailout, it could also deal with other items during the session, possibly including the arms procurement package, she said.
On whether the ministry has a backup plan if the arms procurement package was stalled or scrapped, Chi said the ministry had prepared contingent measures to help build up the nation’s defense.
The cautious optimism contrasted with media reports that the arms package had no chance of passage this year.
Although a post-session notification is legal, it seems highly likely that the package will be left to the next US administration to deal with.
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Chu Fong-chih (朱鳳芝) yesterday said the stalled arms sales were a result of the former Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) administration’s constant provocation of the US when it was in office.
“We were victimized by the DPP,” she said.
DPP legislators, on the other hand, said the delay was the result of the Ma government’s apparent attitude of surrender toward China.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY FLORA WANG
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as