The chairman of China’s Association for Relations Across the Taiwan Strait (ARATS) will not be welcome to visit Taiwan until Beijing apologizes for the toxic milk scare it caused in Taiwan and compensates the victims and affected businesses, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday.
ARATS Chairman Chen Yunlin (陳雲林) is expected to visit Taiwan sometime next month. The exact date is uncertain.
“The toxic milk powder issue has caused great panic in Taiwan and President Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) government should demand an apology and compensation from China,” said Cheng Wen-tsang (鄭文燦), director of the DPP’s Department of Culture and Communications.
It was discovered two weeks ago that 25 tonnes of milk powder that had been imported from Sanlu Group in China in June as an ingredient for food manufacturing contained dangerously high levels of melamine.
Last week, officials discovered that some Chinese non-dairy creamers and malt extract that had been imported into Taiwan were also contaminated with the chemical, resulting in a massive recall of products on the domestic market.
Unless China apologizes and compensates Taiwanese whose health has been undermined as well as the companies that have sustained massive losses because of the tainted imports, Chen is not welcome in Taiwan, Cheng said.
DPP Chairwoman Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said on Saturday that Chen owed Taiwan “many apologies,” and that it would fuel public anger if he were to visit the country amid the toxic milk powder scare.
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) said yesterday the DPP was trying to prevent the Chinese official from visiting Taiwan to conduct cross-strait negotiations next month.
The KMT issued a statement on behalf of party Deputy Secretary-General Chang Jung-kung (張榮恭) blasting Tsai for saying that the timing was not right for Chen to come to Taiwan next month.
Chang said Tsai’s remarks were aimed at hampering the sound development of cross-strait relations and creating a political stumbling block to negotiations.
Chang said Taiwan’s Straits Exchange Foundation (SEF) and its Chinese counterpart, ARATS, were established to conduct cross-strait negotiations, setting aside cross-strait disputes over Taiwan’s sovereignty.
This has not only won the support of the Taiwanese public, but also gained recognition from the international community, he said.
Both sides of the Strait would become embroiled in fiercer political confrontation if Taiwan’s sovereignty were to become an issue during the negotiations with Chen, as Tsai had proposed, Chang said.
What the country needed was not for the two sides to stop negotiating, he said.
The former DPP administration attempted to reopen communication channels between the SEF and ARATS, but it had never proposed talks on sovereignty, Chang said.
“The DPP’s position now is that it does not want to see both sides undertake friendly interactions,” he said. “They are afraid that once the two sides develop a friendly relationship, it would diminish the maneuvering space for Taiwanese independence.”
Following SEF-ARATS talks in June this year, the second round of negotiations between the two agencies next month would help upgrade Taiwan’s competitiveness, Chang said, adding that sovereignty would not be an issue.
The DPP would only disgrace itself if it were to continue stubbornly boycotting the upcoming meeting, he said.
Concerning the tainted milk powder scandal, Chang said both sides should engage in more communications so that the problem could be properly addressed and a mechanism be established to ensure food safety.
He said it did not make sense for the DPP to oppose Chen’s visit because of the tainted milk scandal, as the SEF and ARATS planned to include food safety in the agenda of next month’s meeting.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as