Two-time Paralympics javelin gold medal winner and world record holder, visually impaired athlete Chiang Chih-chung (江志忠), has been barred from defending his title at this year’s Paralympic Games.
Chinese Taipei Paralympic Committee (CTPC) president Linda Chen (陳李綢) said possible interference from the Chinese Olympic Committee for political reasons may have been behind the announcement.
Chiang won gold medals in the F13 Men’s Javelin at the Sydney and Athens Paralympics, setting a world record in Athens with a throw of 57.28m. He also won the gold medal at the four-yearly International Sports World Games in Brazil last year.
In February this year, the CTPC received a letter from the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) informing them that, although Chiang met the minimum conditions for participation, he had not been accredited for the Games. No reason was given.
Aside from Chiang, 2006 IPC Athletics World Championships javelin gold medal winner Chen Ming-tsai (陳明財) has also been excluded from the Paralympics.
Linda Chen expressed disappointment and dismay.
“We have objected to the IPC and the Beijing Olympic Committee through various avenues, but received no clear reply and no other explanation is to be found,” Chen said.
At the meeting of the preparatory committee for the Beijing Olympics in May, Lai Fu-huan (賴復寰), a member of the CTPC’s standing committee, asked the IPC’s technical director and technical delegates on the athletics subcommittee about the matter, but to no avail.
“For the IPC to make such a decision, China must be interfering behind the scenes,” Lai said.
Chiang Chih-chung, although disappointed, has no choice but to accept the decision.
“My role is just to do my best as a competitor,” he said. “I don’t understand the changing rules of the game. Taiwan has all along been in a weak position and pushed around by China. The vision of singing our anthem in the stadium in Beijing is what has motivated me to keep training for the last couple of years.”
Sports Affairs Council Chairwoman Tai Shia-ling (戴遐齡) said there should be a standard procedure for deciding whether or not athletes can take part in sports events.
If China has blocked Chiang from the Games for no reason, then it might have political implications, but the matter needs investigation, she said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and