Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Chairman Wu Poh-hsiung (吳伯雄) yesterday reiterated the party’s determination to fight corruption and urged party members not to gloat over the money-laundering allegations against former president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁).
Speaking at a KMT Central Standing Committee meeting, Wu asked the central policy committee and party caucus to push for a law on unclear sources of property and seek an amendment to the Statute for the Punishment of Corruption (貪污治罪條例) in the next legislative session, which starts next month.
“We will not take pleasure in Chen Shui-bian’s case. Instead, we, and all politicians, should learn the lesson from the incident that no one can hide the truth forever,” Wu said yesterday at KMT headquarters.
PHOTO: HUANG CHI-YUAN, TAIPEI TIMES
Director of the KMT’s policy committee Lin Yi-shih (林益世) will communicate with the Ministry of Justice and the Judicial Yuan on establishing the regulations, the committee decided.
KMT caucus secretary-general Chang Sho-wen (張碩文) said yesterday that the caucus would propose the regulations in the legislature as soon as the new session begins.
KMT Legislator John Wu (吳志揚), the son of Wu Poh-hsiung, initiated a similar proposal last spring, suggesting that any official who failed to explain how he or she managed to accumulate large amounts of wealth should face up to three years in prison and a fine of up to NT$10 million (US$318,000).
The bill went to a preliminary review by the Judiciary and Organic Laws and Statutes Committee on May 29, but did not clear the legislative floor before the legislature went into recess last month.
The KMT chairman also rebutted allegations that some KMT members felt that President Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) administration had handled the case involving Chen too slowly. The party will spare no effort in assisting the government with investigating Chen’s case, Wu Poh-hsiung said, and will work for clean government.
“No matter how embarrassing or despicable the truth is, we need to face it with courage ... People will no longer trust the government if we fail to investigate this case thoroughly, and it will shake the nation to its roots,” Wu Poh-hsiung said.
Meanwhile, in related news, the Central Election Commission (CEC) yesterday said it formed a task force to probe the allegations that Chen laundered campaign funds. The task force will look into whether Chen violated any laws by not declaring campaign funds in full and whether the CEC had any authority to impose sanctions on him.
“We will find out which laws or clauses originally listed under the CEC’s jurisdiction may apply to Chen’s case and whether we can intervene as an independent government institution,” CEC secretary-general Teng Tien-yu (鄧天祐) said after a two-hour task force meeting.
Regulations on declaring campaign funds were listed under the Election and Recall Law of Public Servants (公職人員選舉罷免法) and the President and Vice President Election and Recall Law (總統副總統選舉罷免法) until last year. After the clauses moved to other legislation, the CEC lost jurisdiction over violations of the rules.
However, as the case involves acts that occurred before last year, the CEC believes it may still have jurisdiction.
“If the CEC cannot handle the case, we will provide assistance to parties such as the court,” Teng said.
Under the original clauses, “Chen may be fined between NT$500,000 and NT$2.5 million,” he said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as