Flights between Taipei and Kaohsiung will be maintained for another month, despite a request from Mandarin Airlines (華信航空) to halt the service.
The Civil Aeronautics Administration (CAA) has asked Mandarin Airlines to provide the service for at least one more month, until the end of next month, because demand for air travel in Kaohsiung and Pingtung counties remains high, said CAA director-general Lee Lung-wen (李龍文) on Thursday, adding that “this is why the CAA has not approved the carrier’s request to halt the service.”
“Taipei-Kaohsiung flights will be maintained through September,” Lee said.
Seat occupancy on the Taipei-Kaohsiung route still averages around 50 percent, he said.
Meanwhile, Mandarin Airlines, the sole operator on the route, announced that from today it would only offer a single daily round-trip flight between the two largest cities in Taiwan, down from the previous 14 round-trip flights per week.
The number of flights on the Taipei-Kaohsiung route exceeded 100 per day during peak years, when it was the most profitable domestic route.
A Mandarin Airlines company executive said a passenger load factor lower than 60 percent makes it very difficult for a carrier to maintain operations.
Air travel on the western Taiwan corridor has been hard-hit by the high-speed train system that went into service in January last year.
In the face of competition from the bullet train, airlines have progressively cut the number of flights between Taipei and Taichung and between Taipei, Chiayi and Tainan.
In 1997, passengers took 18 million flights inside Taiwan, but the figure decreased to 8 million in 2006 and to 4 million last year, statistics show.
Industry sources predict that the number will drop even further this year.
In another development, UNI Airways Corp (立榮航空), which flies from Taipei to Pingtung and Hengchun, is considering canceling flights on the two routes. But Lee said the CAA would not allow the airline to stop flying the routes, out of fear that the local airports might be forced to close as a result.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty