President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) is set to embark on an eight-day state visit to South America and the Caribbean today — his first overseas trip since taking office in May.
Ma will attend the inauguration of Paraguayan president-elect Fernando Lugo on Friday and Dominican Republic president-elect Leonel Fernandez on Saturday.
Ma and his 81-person delegation are scheduled to spend one night in Los Angeles before heading to Panama for a refueling stop en route to Paraguay. They will leave the Dominican Republic on Sunday and have a refueling stop in Austin, Texas, before heading to San Francisco for transfer. They are scheduled to arrive in Taiwan early next Tuesday.
Unlike his predecessors, Ma will take commercial — rather than special charter — flights. The president and his entourage are booked to take a commercial airliner en route to Los Angeles. They will fly to Panama, Paraguay and the Dominican Republic on a charter flight, which will then take them to Austin and San Francisco. They are scheduled to return on a commercial flight.
Presidential Office Spokesman Wang Yu-chi (王郁琦) said yesterday that the use of commercial flights for segments of the trip would save taxpayers an estimated NT$30 million (US$962,200).
Wang said that while it was common practice for the heads of the five branches of government to see the president off at the airport under the Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) government, Ma had asked them not to come because he would leave during office hours and it would be early morning when he returns. Wang said he hoped the change would become the norm.
During the refueling stop in Panama, Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs Hou Ching-shan (侯清山) said Ma was scheduled to meet Panamanian President Martin Torrijos and at least one of his two vice presidents.
Ma will also have bilateral meetings with leaders attending the inaugurations in Paraguay and the Dominican Republic, Hou said, including the envoy of US President George W. Bush. Hou, however, emphasized that the meetings with the US representatives would occur “naturally” and that no special arrangement had been made. As for the transfers in the US, Hou said Ma would keep the transit stops simple and would not engage in any unrelated activities during the stops.
Hou said Ma would see some of his friends and that some “US friends” may telephone or come to see him, adding that the “US friends” included politicians, but he declined to say whether there would be any government officials.
Asked about Lugo’s threat to establish relations with Beijing once he takes office, Hou said Lugo did not specify what kind of relationship he was seeking. The ministry’s understanding was that the bilateral ties between Taiwan and Paraguay remained strong and would remain unchanged.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as