Taiwan hopes the US will make progress on arms procurement to Taiwan next month, following the conclusion of the Beijing Olympic Games, Legislative Speaker Wang Jin-pyng (王金平) said in New York on Friday.
Wang made the remarks prior to his departure for Taipei after wrapping up his nine-day US visit, which also took him to Washington.
Wang said he had held good discussions with US officials on the arms issue, which should have helped resolve US doubts about Taiwan’s determination to acquire the weapon systems.
Wang said the US side had repeatedly assured him that the administration of US President George W. Bush has not frozen arms sales to Taiwan and would comply with the provisions of the Taiwan Relations Act in handling the matter.
If the items were to be approved before the US Congress adjourns on Sept. 16, the Bush administration would have to submit notifications for the weapon systems to Congress for review by Aug. 16, midway through the Beijing Olympics, which end on Aug. 24, Wang said.
Wang said he did not believe Beijing would try to pressure the US into scrapping the deals during Bush’s visit to China to attend the opening ceremony on Friday, as the arms requests have been under discussion for a long time.
There have been reports that the Bush administration was holding back on the congressional notifications to avoid upsetting relations with China ahead of the Games.
Admiral Timothy Keating, commander of the US Pacific Command, fueled speculation during a speech last month that Washington might have frozen the screening process.
He said policy-makers in the administration had “reconciled Taiwan’s military posture, China’s current military posture and strategy that indicates there is no pressing, compelling need for, at the moment, arms sales to Taiwan.”
In response, the US Department of State said that Washington has not changed its policy on arms sales to Taiwan.
State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said on July 18 that the administration “faithfully implements the Taiwan Relations Act” and that there was an “internal interagency process” for the US government to consider all military exports.
Concerned about the administration’s delays in screening the pending weapon sales, a group of 23 members of the US House of Representatives sent a joint letter to Bush on Thursday urging his administration to expedite consideration of the sales.
The group, led by representatives Shelley Berkley and Steve Chabot, co-chairs of the Congressional Taiwan Caucus, requested that the administration brief Congress on the status of the sales.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as