The emergency response task force set up by the government to handle the Olympics will not handle political issues in Beijing, which will be dealt with in Taipei, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said yesterday.
Council Vice Chairman Chang Liang-jen (張良任) told a press conference that a task force in Taipei would take care of any political issues or other matters that task force members sent to Beijing could not handle.
Task force members sent to Beijing would deal with matters only concerning sports activities and any related conflicts, he said.
While Minister without Portfolio Ovid Tseng (曾志朗) will lead the task force to Beijing, Chang will preside over the team in Taipei.
The task force includes members from the MAC, the Sports Affairs Council, the Straits Exchange Foundation, the Chinese Taipei Olympic Committee, the National Communications Council and the National Security Council.
Liu said the task force was on standby and that he believed that any issues regarding Beijing denigrating Taiwan’s sovereignty at the Games would be “properly dealt with.”
“As our principle when dealing with Beijing over the years has been to uphold equality and reciprocation, we will not allow our sovereignty to be depreciated at the Beijing Games,” he said. “I believe they [China] will not engage in any petty maneuvers because they want to see a successful Olympics.”
In related news, Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Chairman Wu Poh-hsiung (吳伯雄), who met with Chinese President Hu Jintao (胡錦濤) in May, said yesterday he had no plans for a second meeting with Hu during his trip to China for the Olympics.
“I am attending the Olympic opening ceremony as a guest with no other plans,” Wu said during an interview with Radio Taiwan International. “However, I promise to express clearly the Taiwanese people’s voice and their expectations for safety, dignity and international space.”
Wu brushed off the Democratic Progressive Party’s (DPP) condemnation of the government’s acceptance of Taiwan’s title at the Olympic Games and the arrangements for the opening ceremony.
“Chinese media called our team ‘Taipei, China’ during the last two Olympics. Thanks to the KMT government’s efforts, they are now referring to us as ‘Chinese Taipei,’” he said.
Meanwhile, Deputy Kaohsiung Mayor Chiu Tai-san (邱太三) of the DPP yesterday dismissed media speculation that he had received an invitation from Beijing to attend the opening ceremony of the Games as a VIP guest.
Chiu said that neither he nor Kaohsiung Mayor Chen Chu (陳菊) had received an offer from China to attend the opening ceremony. Chiu said if he were to attend, he would participate as a board member of the Kaohsiung Organizing Committee (KOC) of the 2009 World Games, which the city is hosting next year.
Chiu made the denial in response to a report in the Chinese-language United Daily News yesterday that said Chiu, KOC chief executive officer Hsu Chao-chuan (�?�) and former National Security Council deputy secretary-general Liu Shih-fang (劉世芳), who served as a KOC board member, had been invited by China’s Taiwan Affairs Office to the opening ceremony.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as