Taiwan and the US could sign a contract for the sale of about US$11 billion in arms packages by the end of this year, breaking a hiatus on the US sale of weapons systems to Taiwan, said Rupert Hammond-Chambers, the president of the US-Taiwan Business Council.
Joseph Wu (吳釗燮), the nation’s outgoing representative to Washington, said he had not heard anything from administration officials about the possibility of movement on the arms sales, although he had heard such reports from “non-administration sources.” He expects the sales to go through “eventually.”
Echoing comments over the past week by the incoming Taiwanese representative to Washington, Jason Yuan (袁健生), as well as council chairman and former US deputy secretary of defense Paul Wolfowitz, Hammond-Chambers told the Taipei Times that his “optimistic expectation” was that the sales could start to move within weeks.
With a key shortcut in the process and speedy work by the administration and Congress, the Letter of Offer and Acceptance could be signed by the end of December, capturing the budget allocations approved by the Legislative Yuan in December last year.
Hammond-Chambers said that his prognostication was not based on personal assurances by the State Department, which has held back the deals, or congressional aides, but was his “speculation.”
The council’s members include US defense industry giants that make the weapons systems the US sells to Taiwan and are well connected through the Washington establishment. Moreover, Wolfowitz, when he was the No. 2 man at the US Department of Defense, was known to be very favorable to the arms sales program.
Wu told the Taipei Times that all he had heard from the administration was “the issue is still in the interagency process” — the same wording as that used by a State Department official when asked at the daily press briefing this week.
“That statement seems to be quite uniform,” Wu said. “That means if it’s in the process, the process is going to go through eventually.”
Hammond-Chambers outlined a potential timetable if Washington wanted to finalize the sale before the end of the year.
The State Department could unfreeze the sales early next month, after US President George W. Bush returns from attending the opening of the Beijing Olympic Games on Aug. 8 to Aug. 9. But with Congress scheduled to adjourn on Aug. 9 for its month-long summer break, Hammond-Chambers expects the administration to start the process of notifying the lawmakers of the potential sale before Congress adjourns.
To speed things along, the administration would have to negotiate with the congressional committees responsible for arms sales to waive the pre-consultation process, which would permit the US Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) — the Pentagon unit that handles foreign arms sales — to officially notify Congress of the sales when Congress returns on Sept. 8.
Congress would then have 30 days to vet the sale and return it to the DSCA in early October, giving the agency and Taiwan three months to nail down the deal in time to capture the budget money.
Most of the contracts have already been negotiated, and there is little of the contract language left to work out, Hammond-Chambers said.
“The framework is in place ... It’s more the bureaucratic time it takes to process the paperwork on both sides, that’s the most time consuming,” he said.
Hammond-Chambers and Wolfowitz have just returned from a four-day trip to Taipei where they met top officials, including President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九), Vice President Vincent Siew (蕭萬長), Premier Liu Chao-shiuan (劉兆玄) and National Security Council Secretary-General Su Chi (蘇起). All of them said they wanted to buy the frozen arms packages, Hammond-Chambers said.
“Everybody was absolutely on message,” he said.
If the sales freeze is lifted, it would come after a broad-based and very public chorus of criticism of the freeze in Washington by the business council, congressional supporters of Taiwan, conservative think tanks, the media and defense contractor lobbyists.
The council, the most strident critic of the freeze, has taken a different tack, Hammond-Chambers said.
It was a “sense that we as an organization needed to take a more positive tone toward the ultimate outcome of all of this,” he said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated