The Grand Hotel (圓山大飯店) is scheduled to hold a board meeting today to confirm the appointment of Chang Shuo-lao (張學勞) as the hotel’s new chairman.
The hotel is managed by the Duen Mou Foundation (台灣省敦睦聯誼會), a juridical association under the administration of the Ministry of Transportation and Communications.
Chang, formerly the Tourism Bureau director-general before his retirement from the ministry, is the chairman of the Taiwan Visitors Association (台灣觀光協會).
Chang said he agreed to take the position at Grand Hotel without any salary to avoid receiving two salary payments — as a retired civil servant and the hotel’s chairman.
He will replace Christine Tsung (宗才怡), who has been in charge of the hotel since 2002.
Chang told the Taipei Times yesterday that his first priority would be to fix the hotel’s financial problems.
“The most important thing is to halt the financial losses,” he said. “Just like when a patient is sick, the most urgent task is for him to be cured.”
Chang said he had been reluctant to take the position in the first place because fixing such problems “takes a lot out of you.”
Asked how he plans to turn the Grand Hotel from a semi-official organization into a private corporation, Chang said he wanted to start from the beginning.
Sources within the ministry said the appointment was not surprising given Chang’s key role in the preparatory work for facilitating cross-strait weekend charter flights and allowing Chinese tourists into Taiwan before the election of Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) as president.
Established in 1952, the Grand Hotel was once rated by Fortune magazine as one of the top 10 hotels in the world.
Its traditional Chinese architectural design has made the hotel one of the most prominent landmarks in Taipei and the choice of accommodation for many overseas tourists.
Aside from the one in Yuanshan (圓山), Taipei, another Grand Hotel was established in Kaohsiung in 1957.
However, a fire in 1995 took a devastating toll on the main hotel in Yuanshan, destroying its roof and upper floors.
The hotel did not reopen to the public until 1998.
The fire was not the only reason the hotel’s glory as Taiwan’s first international hotel faded. Competition from other domestic and international hotel chains caused the Grand Hotel to lose many customers.
While the foundation retained successful corporate executives such as Koo Chen-fu (辜振甫) and Stanley Yen (嚴長壽) to manage the hotel, their efforts failed to turn the tide.
Ministry statistics showed that as of August last year, the hotel had accumulated approximately NT$1.3 billion (US$42.7 million). in debts. Only the Grand Hotel in Taipei is profitable.
The Grand Hotel was once again in the spotlight in February as media reports said the foundation was planning to use NT$900 million to spin off and privatize the hotel before May 20.
The ministry rejected the rumors.
Issues with the Grand Hotel’s employees are another factor that has blocked its privatization.
Lee Huan-yang (李煥洋), the Grand Hotel Workers’ Union spokesperson, said they had lost faith in the management assigned by the ministry over the years, as they were never willing to sit down and talk to the workers.
“They never tell us what they are going to do with us — both for those who want to stay and for those they want to leave,” he told the Taipei Times.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as