Minister of Foreign Affairs Francisco Ou (歐鴻鍊) apologized yesterday afternoon for the ministry’s handling of the recent disappearance of eight Taiwanese businessmen in the waters off Madagascar on Friday.
“There were certainly defects in communication when the Ministry of Foreign Affairs [MOFA] dealt with the incident,” Ou told reporters.
MOFA said through a press release at 6pm yesterday that an overturned boat — suspected to be the one carrying the eight missing Taiwanese businessmen — had been spotted by rescuers.
However, none of the missing eight men were found at the site, the statement said.
Reports also said that Madagascan authorities had scaled down the search efforts after finding the boat.
Ou’s earlier apology came after the ministry was criticized on Sunday for its slow response after learning of the incident.
“Because of the defects [in communication], we failed to offer effective and timely assistance. I would hereby like to apologize to the families [of the missing men] and to the public,” he said.
Ou said that the ministry had decided during a meeting yesterday morning to set up a 24-hour emergency hotline (0912-581-001).
“We do have someone on night shift every night after office hours, but the late-shift person gets off at 10pm,” Ou said. “So we decided that we’d give the late shift an emergency mobile phone so that he or she may still be alerted even after leaving the office.”
Ou also said that from now on late shifts would be served by officials at the level of section chief or higher, and they would be required to complete emergency response courses, Ou said.
Meanwhile, six more family members of the eight missing men were planning to depart for the East African island nation to join the search for their loved ones.
Chang Ming-ju (張銘如), a Taipei County resident, left for Madagascar via Hong Kong and South Africa on Sunday to help search for his father, brother and nephew who have been missing off the east coast of Madagascar since 3pm on Friday.
Chang was accompanied by a MOFA official.
Meanwhile, two relatives of Liu Shou-chih (劉守智), who has been operating an aquaculture company in Madagascar for the past 11 years, were scheduled to depart for Madagascar later yesterday. When the boat went missing, Liu had left Madagascar’s eastern island of Sainte Marie and was taking seven businessmen from Taiwan to inspect ocean farms for their investment potential.
According to Liu’s brother, as of noon on Sunday in Taipei, the families of the missing Taiwanese were relying mainly on the efforts of Liu’s wife, Han Jing (韓晶), a Chinese citizen, who had been scrambling to get help and approached the Chinese embassy in Madagascar for assistance.
Taiwan’s representative office in South Africa sent two staff members to Madagascar on Sunday to assist in the search.
An official from China’s embassy in Madagascar also said earlier that the embassy was doing its utmost to join forces with relevant agencies of the host country to find and rescue the missing Taiwanese.
According to the Chinese official, the Chinese embassy will inform Taiwan’s representative office in South Africa if any new information becomes available. At the moment, he said he had not received any new information.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as