Nearly 70 percent of junior high school students said they have been taught with alternate "reference" books in class despite a ban on such publications, a recent poll showed.
“This result indicates abnormalities in our education system, as ‘credentialism’ is still hurting Taiwan’s junior high students,” Shih Ying (史英), chairman of the Humanistic Education Foundation, told a press conference yesterday.
Presenting the results of a foundation survey that polled 1,433 students in 299 junior high schools nationwide, Shih said 69.94 percent of respondents had been taught with unauthorized reference books, which present course material in a way that makes it easier for students to prepare for tests.
BANNED
The Ministry of Education (MOE) has prohibited elementary and junior high school teachers from using reference publications to teach and test students since 1989, Shih said.
“In addition, an overwhelming 97.38 percent of the respondents said that their schools were using the unauthorized books,” the chairman said.
Shih attributed the rampant use of the reference books to an education system that is too focused on passing entrance examinations, which junior high school students must take to enter high school.
Meanwhile, Shih said 89.39 percent of students said that their teachers have used unauthorized test prep sheets to help students score better on the exams.
SACK 'EM
“Teachers who have violated the ban should be sacked, while the school principals who tolerate such conduct should also leave their posts,” said Shih, who is also a mathematics professor at National Taiwan University.
The foundation will invite students and their parents to organize a monitoring group to help normalize the education system.
The poll was conducted between May 15 and June 10.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as