Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Kuan Bi-ling (管碧玲) yesterday accused more government officials in the Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) administration of having obtained US green cards, naming National Security Council (NSC) Secretary-General Su Chi (蘇起) and two Examination Yuan nominees.
Newly appointed Examination Yuan vice president Wu Chin-lin (伍錦霖), a former deputy secretary-general of the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT), is also applying for a green card, Kuan alleged yesterday during a question-and-answer session at the legislature.
The two other Examination Yuan nominees who Kuan accused of obtaining US green cards were Tsai Shih-yuan (蔡式淵) and Tsai Bih-hwang (蔡璧煌).
“Apparently there are still many government officials who don’t want to give up their green cards. Premier Liu [Chao-shiuan (劉兆玄)], you have to do a thorough check of their backgrounds,” she said.
The current Nationality Law (國籍法) only bars government officials from holding dual citizenship. There are no regulations governing officials who posses foreign residency cards.
In response to Kuan, Liu yesterday said those four were “not his Cabinet members” and so he would not be able to run background checks on them.
“I am not an immigration lawyer, but I trust them,” he said.
Kuan showed placards with the greed card numbers of the four officials. She also claimed that Executive Yuan Secretary-General Hsueh Hsiang-chuan’s (薛香川) US green card is still valid.
Hsueh had previously argued that his US green, which he obtained in the 1970s, had become invalid because he did not return regularly to the US as required by US law and used US tourist visas instead of his green card to enter the US.
Liu yesterday defended his Cabinet team and promised to ask members who were found to still enjoy permanent residency in other countries to either leave his team or give up the permanent residency.
“I believe that we have handled [the permanent residency] issue well,” Liu said. “Those who are problematic were appointed by the former government.”
Ma’s administration has come under fire from the opposition over the foreign residency issue, with some legislators questioning the loyalty of officials who hold foreign residency status.
The issue came under the spotlight after Minister of Foreign Affairs Francisco Ou (歐鴻鍊) apologized for obtaining a US green card in 2005 when he was serving as the nation’s ambassador to Guatemala. He said he had officially given up his green card one month before assuming his current position on May 20.
The Presidential Office also unveiled the result of its own investigation into senior office officials on June 9. At the time it said its investigation found that NSC adviser Chan Man-jung (詹滿容) has a green card, but has promises to relinquish it. NSC Deputy Secretary-General Ho Szu-yin (何思因) and Presidential Office Deputy Secretary-General Kao Lang (高朗) held Canadian maple cards, but gave them up before taking office.
When the Presidential Office made the results public, however, it did not name Su.
When contacted by the Taipei Times last night, Presidential Office Spokesman Wang Yu-chi (王郁琦) said Su obtained a green card in 1979 while studying in the US, but that he relinquished the card voluntarily in 1988 by filling out the required form while traveling through Los Angeles airport.
Wang said the Presidential Office was conducting checks on Wu and the two Examination Yuan candidates and would make results public as soon as possible.
Additional reporting by CNA
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as