As the world celebrates World No Tobacco Day today, the Department of Health (DOH) is reminding people that all public facilities and indoor work environments will be smoke-free from next year.
The policy, scheduled to take effect on Jan. 11, will essentially ban smoking in indoor facilities designed for more than three people, such as government organizations, hotels, restaurants, shopping malls, Internet cafes or Karaoke bars.
However, locations equipped with indoor smoking rooms that have independent air conditioning and bars that open after 9pm and forbid the entry of those aged under 18 will be exempt from the rule.
Outdoor facilities, such as school campuses, stadiums, or any public place where children or teenagers visit frequently, will be asked to observe the smoke-free policy as well.
Passengers will also not be able to smoke at bus stops, on platforms or at any other waiting areas.
Hsiao Mei-ling (蕭美玲), director general of the DOH’s Bureau of Health Promotion, said yesterday that business owners must display no-smoking signs. They are also forbidden to provide customers with cigarettes or any other equipment for smoking. Those violating the rule will be fined NT$10,000 to NT$50,000.
Individuals found smoking in smoke-free facilities will be fined NT$2,000 to NT$10,000.
Hsiao said the policy is expected to have a comprehensive impact. The department has produced a television commercial that will be aired from now until next year to inform people about the new policy, she said.
To test the public’s perception of the new policy, the Taipei Medical University conducted a survey in February the results of which show that only about 22 percent of respondents knew that the new policy will be implemented next year and the penalties for violating the rules.
More than 90 percent of those surveyed supported the government’s decision to expand smoke-free areas.
In related news, Deputy Minister of Health Cheng Shou-hsia (鄭守夏) reiterated yesterday that the department is determined to raise the tobacco health welfare tax. Last year, the department proposed to increase the tax from NT$10 to NT$45 per pack of cigarettes.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty