Taiwan must not rely on China’s so-called goodwill for its WHO bid, officials, academics and social advocates said yesterday in Taipei, urging president-elect Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) to avoid looking for a compromise with Beijing before moving on important issues such as public health.
At a forum held by the Foundation of Medical Professionals Alliance in Taiwan on the challenges the country will face this year in its attempt to join the world health body, panelists panned Ma’s policy of “cross-strait affairs first, foreign affairs second” as “detrimental” to healthcare in the nation.
“In an international setting, Taiwan and China should enjoy equal footing when engaging in negotiations. However, if the negotiations are held behind closed doors, Taiwan will undoubtedly be negotiating at a disadvantage,” said Jiang Huang-zhi (姜皇池), associate professor of law at National Taiwan University.
He said negotiations with China should be conducted on an open international platform to ensure that the nation’s rights were not being compromised.
Even following Ma’s election victory, China would still bar the nation’s WHO bid unless Taiwan was willing to relent by becoming part of the Chinese delegation or be an “associate member” to China, Jiang said.
Since the Taiwanese people would never agree to the options offered by China, the issue would continue to remain unresolved, he said.
In 2005, China signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the WHO to restrict Taiwan’s involvement in the health body. In the MOU, China agreed Taiwanese medical experts could enjoy “meaningful participation” in WHO-related events.
However, the Department of Health said the nation’s access to those events had not seen any significant improvement since the MOU.
“This is why we are saying meaningful participation is meaningless unless Taiwan can become an observer at the World Health Assembly (WHA),” said Lin Yong-le (林永樂), head of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ Department of International Organization.
The WHA is the decision-making body of the WHO and it meets annually to discuss pertinent issues. Since 1997, Taiwan has sought to become an assembly observer, but all attempts have been rejected by Beijing.
Department of Health Deputy Director-General Chen Tzay-jinn (陳再晉) said Beijing has repeatedly failed to make good on its pledge to pass WHO information on to Taiwan in a timely fashion, as indicated in the MOU.
For example, in the case of the recent entrovirus outbreak in China, although the story hit the international media in the middle of last month, China did not officially notify Taiwan of the fatal disease outbreak until four days ago, he said.
Foundation president Wu Shu-ming (吳樹民), who has been championing Taiwan’s WHO membership since 1996, urged Ma to work closely with lobbying groups and heed their suggestions.
“We are able to provide him with valuable suggestions since we have been working on it for over a decade,” he said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as