Former Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) chairman Lien Chan (連戰) and Chinese President Hu Jintao (胡錦濤) are expected to meet for the fourth time next week to discuss cross-strait relations under the new administration, KMT Vice Chairman Chiang Pin-kung (江丙坤) said yesterday in China.
Chiang, the chairman-designate of the Straits Exchange Foundation (SEF), confirmed the Lien-Hu meeting would take place on Tuesday.
Media reports have speculated that Hu will take the opportunity to invite Lien to attend the opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympic Games in August.
The Chinese leader invited Lien for a visit shortly after president-elect Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) and his running mate Vincent Siew (蕭萬長) won last month’s election.
“During his visit, Lien will most definitely seize the opportunity to discuss with Hu the administration’s vision and Ma’s plans for cross-strait cooperative efforts,” Chiang said.
Despite the political implications behind the meeting, Lien’s office was billing the trip as a “personal visit.”
Some reports said Lien and Hu would shake hands at an unveiling ceremony for a sculpture at the Olympic Park in Beijing.
The sculpture by a Taiwanese artist is reportedly a gift that Lien gave Hu when the two met two years ago. It was reported at the time that Hu was enthusiastic about the work and had it placed at the Olympic site.
“It will be a meeting of two old friends,” said Chang Jung-kung (張榮恭), director of the KMT’s Mainland Affairs Division.
Lien’s office reportedly notified Ma’s camp of the trip and that minister without profolio-designate Tsai Hsun-hsiung (蔡勳雄) would be in attendance.
Several leading Taiwanese businessmen, including Hon Hai Precision president Terry Gou (郭台銘), Chinatrust Financial Holding chairman Jeffrey Koo (辜濂松), and Runetex Group chairman Yin Yen-liang (尹衍樑) will accompany Lien.
Chinese Taiwan Affairs Office Director Chen Yunlin (陳雲林) and Jia Qinglin (賈慶林), head of the People’s Political Consultative Conference, are expected to join the Chinese entourage.
Lien is expected to conclude his trip by May 6.
Meanwhile, Ma’s spokesman Lo Chih-chiang (羅智強) declined to confirm that Lien had informed Ma about the trip, but stressed that the two shared the same vision for cross-strait relations.
“Communication between Mr Ma and Mr Lien has always been good as they share the same vision for cross-strait relations,” Lo said yesterday while accompanying Ma to an education forum in Taipei.
Although Lien has been maintaining direct contact between the KMT and the Chinese Communist Party, Ma said that the SEF would handle cross-strait negotiations following his inauguration on May 20.
Ma expressed his gratitude to Lien for providing him with ideas about how to promote a “win-win” cross-strait relationship, but added that the SEF would be the authorized body to seek formal agreements with Beijing on matters such as how to protect Taiwanese investors in China. The party-to-party platform will only serve as a supplementary channel of communication, he said.
After Lien’s visit, KMT Chairman Wu Poh-hsiung (吳伯雄) is expected to visit China to maintain party-to-party contacts.
Meanwhile, Premier Chang Chun-hsiung (張俊雄) said yesterday that the public would watch the Lien-Hu meeting carefully and expected any talks to be held only under the precondition of mutual respect and equality.
“The government always believed in the importance of cross-strait dialogue and establishing a peaceful and stable cross-strait relationship, but the nation’s dignity and equality are also very important,” Chang said when approached for comment.
Chang said cross-strait talks on technical issues regarding the opening of Taiwan to Chinese tourists and cross-strait charter flights for passengers and cargo were resolved under his leadership when he was the president of the Straits Exchange Foundation and under his premiership.
He said Beijing had unilaterally ended the negotiations ahead of January’s legislative elections and last month’s presidential election for political reasons.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as